Lama Yeshe on compassion

    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2009
      Q: What is the difference between attachment and compassion?

      Lama: Compassion understands others' lack of pleasure and their
      suffering situation. Attachment is "I want; I want"-concern for our
      own pleasure. Compassion is concern for others' pleasure and the
      determination to release other sentient beings from their problems.
      But many times we mix our compassion with attachment. We begin with
      compassion but after some time attachment mixes in and it then
      becomes an attachment trip.

      ~ The Essence of Tibetan Buddhism, Lama Thubten Yeshe
      (www.lamayeshe.com)