Mudita & Effort

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2009
      "The Buddha says that there is a possibility for happiness
      lying beyond the happiness that comes
      from simply eating and sleeping,
      looking after the body
      and having a comfortable time.
      This possibility is the good news in the Buddha's teachings..."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations.html#howwhy
      From: The How & the Why by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

      "...the quality of sympathetic joy
      challenges our deep assumptions
      about aloneness, loss, and happiness,
      and shows us another possibility."
      ~ p119 Lovingkindness by Sharon Salzberg, Shambhala 1995

      Antony: I'm sleeping around 12 hours a day.
      These quotes make me feel that practicing mudita
      offers a possibility of happiness
      even if I lose my bed for 16 hours a day.

      Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains:
      "It's not like the Buddha is gonna starve you.
      He gives you an alternative pleasure.
      And in the beginning it's hard
      because the mind doesn't seem
      to want to settle down and work toward it.
      So in the beginning you're going on faith,
      you're going on conviction
      that this is something you really should want.
      And that right there seems to be a contradiction in terms:
      //should// and //want//.
      We think of wanting as something that happens naturally.
      But you can induce a desire.
      And that's what you try to do."
      http://www.dhammatalks.org
      From: Generating Desire by Thanissaro Bhikkhu