Sympathetic Joy by Nyanaponika Thera

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2009
      "Noble and sublime joy is not foreign
      to the Teaching of the Enlightened One.
      Wrongly the Buddha's Teaching is sometimes considered
      to be a doctrine diffusing melancholy.
      Far from it: the Dhamma leads step by step
      to an ever purer and loftier happiness.

      Noble and sublime joy is a helper on the path
      to the extinction of suffering.
      Not he who is depressed by grief,
      but one possessed of joy finds that serene calmness
      leading to a contemplative state of mind.
      And only a mind serene and collected
      is able to gain the liberating wisdom.

      The more sublime and noble the joy of others is,
      the more justified will be our own sympathetic joy.
      A cause for our joy with others is their noble life
      securing them happiness here and in lives hereafter."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel006.html
      From: The Four Sublime States
      Contemplations on Love, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy and Equanimity
      By Nyanaponika Thera
      For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and the Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk