RE: [Buddhaviharas] Ven. Ayya Khema - lovingkindness and defensiveness

    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2009
      Hi Sharon,

      This sutta has been described as "The Buddha's Defense Policy":
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn03/sn03.005.than.html

      with metta / Antony.
      To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
      From: sharonwerner@...
      Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:18:43 +0000
      Subject: [Buddhaviharas] Ven. Ayya Khema - lovingkindness and defensiveness
      "Every thinking person bemoans the fact that there is no peace

      between nations. Everybody would like to see peace on this globe.

      Obviously there isn't any. In this century there has been a war

      somewhere practically all the time. Every country has an enormous

      defense system where a lot of energy, money and manpower is used.

      This defense system is turned into an attack system the minute anyone

      makes the slightest unfriendly remark or seems to be moving towards

      an invasion of airspace or of territorial waters. This is

      rationalized the justified with, 'We have to defend the border of our

      country in order to protect the inhabitants.' Disarmament is a hope

      and a prayer, but not a reality. And why? Because disarmament has

      to start in everyone's heart or wholesale disarmament will never

      happen.

      "The defense and attack which happens on a large scale happens

      constantly with us personally. We're constantly defending our self-

      image. If somebody should look at us sideways or not appreciate or

      love us enough, or even blame us, that defense turns into an attack.

      The rationale is that we have to defend this person, 'this country'

      which is 'me,' in order to protect the inhabitant, 'self.' Because

      almost every person in the world does that, all nations act

      accordingly. There is no hope that this will ever change unless

      every single person changes. Therefore it is up to each of us to

      work for peace ourselves."

      ~ Ayya Khema, "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere", Wisdom Publications,

      1987.