Ven. Ayya Khema - lovingkindness and defensiveness

    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2009
      "Every thinking person bemoans the fact that there is no peace
      between nations. Everybody would like to see peace on this globe.
      Obviously there isn't any. In this century there has been a war
      somewhere practically all the time. Every country has an enormous
      defense system where a lot of energy, money and manpower is used.
      This defense system is turned into an attack system the minute anyone
      makes the slightest unfriendly remark or seems to be moving towards
      an invasion of airspace or of territorial waters. This is
      rationalized the justified with, 'We have to defend the border of our
      country in order to protect the inhabitants.' Disarmament is a hope
      and a prayer, but not a reality. And why? Because disarmament has
      to start in everyone's heart or wholesale disarmament will never
      happen.

      "The defense and attack which happens on a large scale happens
      constantly with us personally. We're constantly defending our self-
      image. If somebody should look at us sideways or not appreciate or
      love us enough, or even blame us, that defense turns into an attack.
      The rationale is that we have to defend this person, 'this country'
      which is 'me,' in order to protect the inhabitant, 'self.' Because
      almost every person in the world does that, all nations act
      accordingly. There is no hope that this will ever change unless
      every single person changes. Therefore it is up to each of us to
      work for peace ourselves."

      ~ Ayya Khema, "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere", Wisdom Publications,
      1987.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2009
        Hi Sharon,

        This sutta has been described as "The Buddha's Defense Policy":
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn03/sn03.005.than.html

        with metta / Antony.
        To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com