Thich Nhat Hanh - cultivating joy

    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2009
      "We all have the tendency to struggle in our bodies and in our
      minds. We believe that happiness is possible only in the future.
      The realization that we have already arrived, that we don't have to
      travel any further, that we are already here, can give us peace and
      joy. The conditions for our happiness are already sufficient. We
      only need to allow ourselves to be in the present moment, and we will
      be able to touch them. What are we looking for to be happy?
      Everything is already here. We do not need to put an object in front
      of us to run after, believing that until we get it, we cannot be
      happy. That object is always in the future, and we can never catch
      up to it. We are already in the Pure Land, the Kingdom of God. We
      are already a Buddha. We only need to wake up and realize we are
      already here."

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh, "Cultivating the Mind of Love: the Practice of
      Looking Deeply in the Mahayana Buddhist Tradition", Parallax Press,
      1996

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2009
        "When you have done something good, you are joyful. But when we practice this, if somebody is successful, we feel that it is our success, we are joyful together with him. If you fail an exam that your sister succeeds, you train yourself to be joyful with her success. You don't discriminate¬Ö "oh, she's successful, I am not, I am so mad". No discrimination. You are joyful with her. If somebody has done wonderful work, you are so joyful for him and for you too. Because you feel that you and him/her are one...

        "...Rejoicing together with others is a very good medicine against jealousy. You are joyful with the joy of others. You are joyful with the success of others...

        "...I am joyful with the joy of all the merits, people have done in ten thousand directions. In ten thousand directions there are countless people who practice merit. Every merit done by others, I feel that it's my merit. I feel so joyful, so happy..."

        Taking Refuge, © Thich Nhat Hanh
        http://www.plumvillage.org/