Thich Nhat Hanh - cultivating joy

    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2009
      "We often ask, 'What's wrong?' Doing so, we invite painful seeds of
      sorrow to come up and manifest. We feel suffering, anger, and
      depression, and produce more such seeds. We would be much happier if
      we tried to stay in touch with the healthy, joyful seeds inside of us
      and around us. We should learn to ask, "What's not wrong?" and be in
      touch with that. There are so many elements in the world and within
      our bodies, feelings, perceptions and consciousness that are
      wholesome, refreshing, and healing. If we block ourselves, if we
      stay in the prison of our sorrow, we will not be in touch with these
      healing elements.

      "Life is filled with many wonders, like the blue sky, the sunshine,
      the eyes of a baby. Our breathing, for example, can be very
      enjoyable. In enjoy breathing every day. But many people appreciate
      the joy of breathing only when they have asthma or a stuffed-up
      noise. We don't need to wait until we have asthma to enjoy our
      breathing. Awareness of the precious elements of happiness is itself
      the practice of right mindfulness. Elements like these are within us
      and all around us. In each second of our lives we can enjoy them.
      If we do so, seeds of peace, joy, and happiness will be planted in
      us, and they will become strong. The secret to happiness is
      happiness itself. Wherever we are, any time, we have the capacity to
      enjoy the sunshine, the presence of each other, the wonder of our
      breathing. We don't have to travel anywhere else to do so. We can
      be in touch with these things right now."

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh, "Peace is Every Step", Parallax Press, 1991

      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2009
        "We all have the tendency to struggle in our bodies and in our
        minds. We believe that happiness is possible only in the future.
        The realization that we have already arrived, that we don't have to
        travel any further, that we are already here, can give us peace and
        joy. The conditions for our happiness are already sufficient. We
        only need to allow ourselves to be in the present moment, and we will
        be able to touch them. What are we looking for to be happy?
        Everything is already here. We do not need to put an object in front
        of us to run after, believing that until we get it, we cannot be
        happy. That object is always in the future, and we can never catch
        up to it. We are already in the Pure Land, the Kingdom of God. We
        are already a Buddha. We only need to wake up and realize we are
        already here."

        ~ Thich Nhat Hanh, "Cultivating the Mind of Love: the Practice of
        Looking Deeply in the Mahayana Buddhist Tradition", Parallax Press,
        1996

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2009
          "When you have done something good, you are joyful. But when we practice this, if somebody is successful, we feel that it is our success, we are joyful together with him. If you fail an exam that your sister succeeds, you train yourself to be joyful with her success. You don't discriminate¬Ö "oh, she's successful, I am not, I am so mad". No discrimination. You are joyful with her. If somebody has done wonderful work, you are so joyful for him and for you too. Because you feel that you and him/her are one...

          "...Rejoicing together with others is a very good medicine against jealousy. You are joyful with the joy of others. You are joyful with the success of others...

          "...I am joyful with the joy of all the merits, people have done in ten thousand directions. In ten thousand directions there are countless people who practice merit. Every merit done by others, I feel that it's my merit. I feel so joyful, so happy..."

          Taking Refuge, © Thich Nhat Hanh
          http://www.plumvillage.org/