(3) What Metta Is by Bodhipaksa

    Message 1 of 4 , May 8 7:26 PM
      "Metta is an attitude
      of recognizing that all sentient beings
      (that is, all beings that are capable of feeling),
      can feel good or feel bad,
      and that all, given the choice,
      will choose the former over the latter.

      Metta is a recognition
      of the most basic solidarity
      that we have with others,
      this sharing of a common aspiration
      to find fulfillment and escape suffering.

      Metta is empathy.
      It's the willingness
      to see the world from another's point of view:
      to walk a mile in another person's shoes.

      Metta is the desire
      that all sentient beings be well,
      or at least the ones we're currently thinking about
      or in contact with.
      It's wishing others well.

      Metta is friendliness, consideration,
      kindness, generosity.

      Metta is an attitude rather than just a feeling.
      It's an attitude of friendliness.

      Metta is the basis for compassion.
      When our Metta meets another's suffering,
      then our Metta transforms into compassion.

      Metta is the basis for shared joy.
      When our Metta meets with another's happiness or good fortune,
      then it transmutes into an empathetic joyfulness.

      Metta is boundless.
      We can feel Metta for any sentient being,
      regardless of gender, race, or nationality.

      Metta is the most fulfilling emotional state
      that we can know.
      It's the fulfillment of the emotional development of every being.

      It's our inherent potential.
      To wish another well is to wish
      that they be in a state of experiencing Metta

      Metta is the answer to almost every problem
      the world faces today.
      Money won't do it.
      Technology won't do it.
      Metta will."
      http://www.wildmind.org/metta/introduction/what-is-metta

      For links to text and audio on metta methods, emotions, overview and
      Stages 1-5 click on the above link.

      Copyright © 2000-2009, Bodhipaksa.
      Posted here with kind permission of Bodhipaksa

      To be continued...
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2010
        "Metta is an attitude
[...]

        Copyright © 2000-2010, Bodhipaksa.
        Posted here with kind permission of Bodhipaksa
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2012
[...]

          Copyright © 2000-2012, Wildmind.
          Posted here with kind permission of Bodhipaksa