(2) What Metta Isn't by Bodhipaksa

    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2009
      "There are many myths and misunderstandings
      about metta, or lovingkindness.

      Metta isn't the same thing as feeling good,
      although when we feel metta
      we do feel more complete,
      and usually feel more joyful and happy.
      But it's possible to feel good
      and for that not to be metta.
      We can feel good,
      but be rather selfish and inconsiderate, for example.
      Metta has a quality of caring about others.

      Metta isn't self-sacrifice.
      A metta-full individual
      is not someone who always puts others before themselves.
      Metta has a quality of appreciation,
      and we need to learn to appreciate ourselves
      as well as others.

      Metta isn't something unknown.
      We all experience Metta.
      Every time you feel pleasure in seeing someone do well,
      or are patient with someone who's a bit difficult,
      or are considerate and ask someone what they think,
      you're experiencing Metta.

      Metta isn't denying your experience.
      To practice Metta doesn't mean "being nice" in a false way.
      It means that even if you don't like someone,
      you can still have their welfare at heart.

      Metta isn't all or nothing.
      Metta exists in degrees,
      and can be expressed in such simple ways
      as simple as politeness and courtesy."
      http://www.wildmind.org/metta/introduction/what-metta-isnt
      For links to text and audio on metta methods, emotions, overview and Stages 1-5 click on the above link.

      Copyright © 2000-2009, Bodhipaksa.
      Posted here with kind permission of Bodhipaksa

      To be continued...
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2010
[...]

        Copyright © 2000-2010, Bodhipaksa.