Ven. Ayya Khema on loving-kindness (metta)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 4:44 AM
      "The heart needs training because by nature it isn't conditioned to
      always feel loving-kindness. By nature it contains both love and
      hate. It contains ill-will, rejection, resentment and fear and also
      lovingness. But unless we diminish the hate and enlarge the love by
      doing something about it in our daily life we have no chance of
      experiencing that peaceful feeling which loving-kindness generates in
      the heart."

      ~ Ayya Khema, "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditation on the
      Buddhist Path, Wisdom Publications, 1987

      AND

      Dharma teaching from a nontraditional source:

      " . . . this is an update of an old story I tell in my lectures:

      "A grandfather is talking to his grandson a few days after the
      terrorist attacks of 9/11. Looking at his grandson, the grandfather
      says: 'I feel like I have two wolves barking inside of me. The first
      wolf is filled with anger and hatred and bitterness and mostly
      revenge. The second wolf is filled with love and kindness and
      happiness and mostly forgiveness.' The grandson looks up at his
      grandfather and says, 'Which wolf do you think will win, Grandpa?'
      And the grandfather responds, 'Whichever one I feed.'"

      ~ Wayne Dyer, excerpted from article in The Daily Word Magazine
      (Unity School of Christianity), November, 2003.