Sharon Salzberg on Metta

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
      "The Pali word 'metta' has two root meanings. One is the word
      for 'gentle.' Metta is likened to a gentle rain that falls upon the
      earth. The rain does not select and choose - 'I'll rain here, and
      I'll avoid that place over there.' Rather, it simply falls without
      discrimination.

      "The other root meaning for 'metta' is 'friend.' To understand the
      power or the force of metta is to understand true friendship. The
      Buddha actually described at some length what he meant by bing a good
      friend in the world. He talked about a good friend as someone who is
      constant in our times of happiness and also in our times of adversity
      or unhappiness. . .

      "The practice of metta, uncovering the force of love that can uproot
      fear, anger, and guilt, begins with the befriending ourselves. The
      foundation of metta practice is to know how to be our own friend.
      According to the Buddha, 'You can search throughout the entire
      universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection
      than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere.
      You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your
      love and affection.' How few of us embrace ourselves in this way!
      With metta practice we uncover the possibility of truly respecting
      ourselves."

      ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Loving-Kindness: the Revolutionary Art of
      Happiness."
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25 2:21 AM
        "For a true spiritual transformation to flourish, we must see beyond
        [the] tendency to mental self-flagellation. Spiritually based on self-
        hatred becomes martyrdom. Morality born of self-hatred becomes rigid
        repression. Love for others without the foundation of love for
        ourselves becomes a loss of boundaries, co-dependency, and a painful
        and fruitless search for intimacy. But when we contact, through
        meditation, our true nature, we can allow others to also find theirs."

        ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of
        Happiness," Shambhala Publications, 1995

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
            "Metta is the ability to embrace all parts of ourselves, as well as
            all parts of the world. Practicing metta illuminates our inner
            integrity because it relieves us of the need to deny different
            aspects of ourselves. We an open to everything with the healing
            force of love. When we feel love, our mind is expansive and open
            enough to include the entirety of life in full awareness, both its
            pleasures and its pains. We feel neither betrayed by pain nor
            overcome by it, and thus we can contact that which is undamaged
            within us regardless of the situation. Metta sees truly that our
            integrity is inviolate, no matter what our life situation may be. We
            do not need to fear anything. We are whole: our deepest happiness is
            intrinsic to the nature of our minds, and it is not damaged through
            uncertainty and change."

            ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of
            Happiness, "Shambhala Publications, 1995.

            May this be of benefit.
          • sharon werner
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29, 2012
              "Metta is the ability to embrace all parts of ourselves, as well as all parts of the world. Practicing metta illuminates our inner integrity because it relieves us of the need to deny different aspects of ourselves. We an open to everything with the healing force of love. When we feel love, our mind is expansive and open enough to include the entirety of life in full awareness, both its pleasures and its pains. We feel neither betrayed by pain nor overcome by it, and thus we can contact that which is undamaged within us regardless of the situation. Metta sees truly that our integrity is inviolate, no matter what our life situation may be. We do not need to fear anything. We are whole: our deepest happiness is intrinsic to the nature of our minds, and it is not damaged through uncertainty and change."

              ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness, "Shambhala Publications, 1995.