Ajahn Vayama on Metta

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2008
      Fear and love/Metta

      "The question is about fear and love being the two basic emotions and
      that our ability to love is only limited by our fears, and that's
      very true. If we think about what we usually mean by love, the
      ordinary understanding of love always has the connotation of grasping
      and ownership of the object that we love; and that when we have this
      sense of 'owning', grasping after the object, then there's always the
      fear that that object is going to be lost: either the object is going
      to change, or that it's going to go away, that it's no longer going
      to be 'ours' any more. So when we have that sense of ownership of
      the object that we love then fear is always present, because change
      is a part of life. When we realize that, then we know that even our
      love object is subject to change.

      "If you contrast that with the understanding of lovingkindness, or
      Metta, in the Buddhist practice, that kind of love is without
      grasping. It's not conditional on the object being lovable. It's
      love that being given because the person has love in their heart, and
      the object may not be a lovable object, may not be something which we
      like; but the love that comes from the heart is given because it's
      there . . . There isn't a sense of having to 'own' the object in
      order to feel that it's worth being loved. Because there's no sense
      of ownership, and because the love is given unconditionally, not
      expecting anything in return, there's no fear. The love that's bound
      up with fear is always on the condition of getting back what we want
      from the love object, and so there's always the fear that that's not
      going to happen. So yes, our ability to love and to give
      unconditionally is always contrasted with that love which is bound up
      with fear, which is always the fear of losing the object of our love."

      Ajahn Sr. Vayama, "Courage To Face Our Fears" Question and Answer
      session.

      http://www.bswa.org/audio/audio_search_author.php?searchterm=Vayama