A Remedy For Despair (extract) by Bhikkhu Bodhi

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2008
      "Contemplation on the operation of kamma
      is not a cold and calculated expedient
      for justifying a stoical resignation to the status quo.
      The pathways of kamma are labyrinthine in their complexity,
      and acceptance of this causal order
      does not preclude a battle against human avarice, brutality and stupidity
      or stifle beneficent action
      intended to prevent unwholesome deeds from finding the opportunity to
      ripen.
      Deep reflection on kammic retribution does, however,
      brace us against the shocks of calamity and disappointment
      by opening up to our vision the stubborn unwieldiness of a world
      ruled by greed, hate and delusion,
      and the deep hidden lawfulness connecting its turbulent undercurrents
      with the back-and-forth swing of surface events.
      While on the one hand this contemplation awakens a sense of urgency,
      a drive to escape the repetitive round of deed and result,
      on the other it issues in equanimity,
      an unruffled inner poise
      founded upon a realistic grasp of our existential plight.
      Genuine equanimity,
      which is far from callous indifference,
      sustains us in our journey through the rapids of samsara.
      Bestowing upon us courage and endurance,
      it enables us to meet the fluctuations of fortune
      without being shaken by them,
      and to look into the face of the world's sufferings without being
      shattered by them."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bps-essay_12.html
      From: A Remedy for Despair
      By Bhikkhu Bodhi
      For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and
      the Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk