Gil Fronsdal on Metta

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2008
      "We all have the capacity for kindness, for love. We all the capacity
      for compassion, empathy; and it's important to develop that capacity
      that we have. We don't have to leave it to chance, that these things
      we all arise by accident. We kind of pray at night, you
      know, 'Please, tomorrow may I have some compassion or some
      kindness . . .' But we can actually do something to cultivate that
      and develop it. And one of the principles of Buddhist spirituality is
      that our intentions are like seeds. If you act and express any kind
      of intention, that seed will flower, will develop, will grow into a
      wonderful plant. If your intentions are mostly intentions of ill-
      will, of aggression, of self-loathing, then what you are actually
      doing is watering that seed of self-loathing and aggression -
      whatever it is - and it becomes more like a habit that we are more
      likely to do more in the future. If we cultivate and water the seeds
      of kindness, of love, then you are more likely to have those develop
      and mature in your life."

      ~ Gil Fronsdal, "Metta," audio dharma lecture
      Insight Meditation Center, Redwood City, California

      http://www.audiodharma.org/talks-gil.html

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2008
[...]

        May this be of benefit