Narayan Liebenson Grady - equanimity (part 3)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2008
      "The second of the worldly dhammas is the arena of gain and loss. What is our relationship to gain? Is gain always positive? What is our relationship to loss? Is loss always negative? When we reflect on past experiences is it ever true that what we thought at the time was a gain was actually a loss and that what we thought was a loss turned out to be a gain? In attaching to having gained something, is there as well the fear that it will be lost? In attaching to having succeeded in something, is there as well the fear of failure?

      "In any culture there are fixed ideas of what it means to be successful and what it means to fail, of what it means to gain and what it means to lose. When we cling to models of success, we set ourselves up for disappointment. To question these models is to find an inner freedom that emerges out of understanding and is not based on models. In non attachment we allow for wisdom to emerge. We see that gain and loss are a natural part of the flux of life."

      (to be continued)

      ~ Narayan Liebenson Grady, "Cultivating Equanimity"

      Excerpted from talks given during an 8-week course on Equanimity at Cambridge
      Insight Meditation Center