Compassion by Andy Kelly

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
      "Compassion, to me, is seeing the suffering in a person's life,
      realizing that every living being is suffering in the same way, having
      sadness for the ones who are suffering, and being determined to stop
      that suffering in any way you can, regardless of risk or ridicule.

      Try to show someone compassion this week, even if its only one person.
      We must start somewhere. Remember, in our own way, we are all elephant
      people. May you be well and happy!"
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhaviharas/message/2499?var=0&l=1
      http://www.thubtenchodron.org/PrisonDharma/the_lone_buddhist.html
      From: "The Lone Buddhist" by Andy R. Kelly, Southeast Correctional
      Center ©
      Posted with the kind permission of Ven Thubten Chodron
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2009
        "Imagine trying to generate even the slightest bodhicitta -- the intention to become fully enlightened in order to benefit all sentient beings most effectively -- in a prison environment. It's similar to generating compassion in hell! Although we are all prisoners of our negative karma, negative emotions, and disturbing attitudes, we still have this precious human life. Nothing can ever take away our Buddha potential. Ven. Chodron and the prisoners with whom she corresponds offer practitioners insights into how they can benefit themselves and others in even the most difficult situations.

        Introductory paragraph:
        Well, here I am, after having been transferred to a level 5 prison. There is not a lot of difference between this camp and my last one, except that this place has a weird tension in the air. There are a lot of people who I know from the last camp I was at. As the name of the article implies, I am the only Buddhist here, and it's not a big problem or anything, but I do wish to know other practitioners, to exchange ideas and experience with (what little experience I have). It's not totally necessary, but it is good to have people with the same goal to talk with.

        I want to talk a little about compassion. A few days ago, I was fligging through the TV channels and came across the 1980 version of "The Elephant Man" with Anthony Hopkins and John Hurt. Even though I have not had interest in this type of movie in the past, I got very into it. This poor man was so horribly deformed that people were very nasty and apt to tease and ridicule him. I watched, and immediately I was sad for him, and wanting good things for him, even though it's only a movie (but based on a true story).

        I was emotionally involved in it. This gave me my first strong feeling of compassion. Now I understand what compassion truly is, and I have to strive to cultivate this compassion for EVERY living being, regardless of who they are, or what they've done. Just because a person is in prison does not mean he or she is undeserving of our compassion. If that were the case, I would not be writing this article.

        From: The Lone Buddhist
        By Andy R. Kelly, Southeast Correctional Center ©
        Posted with the kind permission of Ven Thubten Chodron