Sharon Salzberg on equanimity (uppekha)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2008
      "Consider how the sky is unharmed by the clouds that pass through it,
      whether they are light and fluffy-looking or dark and formidable. A
      mountain is not moved by the winds blowing over it, whether gentle or
      fierce. The ocean is not destroyed by the waves moving on its
      surface, whether high or low. In just that way, no matter what we
      experience, some aspect of ourselves remains unharmed. This is the
      innate happiness of awareness . . .

      "[In this state], some part of ourselves is not sitting elsewhere
      waiting for something better or different to happen. We are not
      relating to our experience with either desire or aversion, but rather
      we accept what comes into our lives and let go of whatever leaves our
      lives. We are completely present and not beguiled by the token
      happiness promised by conventional assumptions. In experiencing
      [this freedom], we discover who we actually are."

      - Sharon Salzberg, "Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of
      Happiness," Shambhala Publications, 1995