Loving-kindness Meditation by Sayadaw U Silananda

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
      "Loving-kindness is a kind of love, i.e., love without attachment,
      craving or lust. It is a wholesome and genuine desire for the
      well-being of all beings including ourselves. So when you practice
      loving-kindness and wish for your own happiness, saying, "May I be
      well, happy and peaceful", this should not be interpreted as
      selfishness because, in order to send out thoughts of loving-kindness
      to others, we have to generate these thoughts first in ourselves.
      Also, when you send thoughts to yourself, you can take yourself as an
      example. That means, when you say, "May I be well, happy, and
      peaceful," you think, "Just as I want to be well, happy and peaceful,
      so do all other beings. So may they also be well, happy and peaceful."
      To be able to practice loving-kindness towards other beings, you first
      have to practice loving kindness towards yourself. Then you send your
      thoughts to other beings. You can send these thoughts in different
      ways. You can send thoughts to all beings by location. You can send
      loving-kindness to all beings in this house. By "all beings" we mean
      not only human beings, but also animals, insects, etc. Then you send
      loving-kindness to all beings in this area, in this city, in this
      county, in this state, in this country, in this world, in this
      universe, and last, to all beings in general. When you say the
      sentences to yourself, please, mean them and try to see and visualize
      the beings you mention as really well, happy, and peaceful, and your
      thoughts of loving-kindness reaching them, touching them, embracing
      them and making them really well, happy, and peaceful. It will take
      about fifteen minutes.

      When practicing loving-kindness meditation, repeat the following
      sentences silently to yourself, about ten times each.

      May I be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings in this house be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings in this area be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings in this city be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings in this county be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings in this state be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings in this country be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings in this world be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings in this universe be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings be well, happy, and peaceful.

      Loving-kindness can also be practiced by way of persons, as follows:

      May I be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May my teachers be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May my parents be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May my relatives be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May my friends be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May the indifferent persons be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May the unfriendly persons be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all meditators be well, happy, and peaceful.
      May all beings be well, happy, and peaceful.

      May suffering ones be suffering free
      and the fear-struck fearless be.
      May the grieving shed all grief,
      and all beings find relief."
      http://www.tbsa.org/meditationinstrucctions.htm
      From: Meditation Instructions
      (For Loving-kindness Meditation and Vipassana Meditation)
      By Sayadaw U Silananda

        From: Meditation Instructions

          From: Meditation Instructions

            From: Meditation Instructions
            (For Loving-kindness Meditation and Vipassana Meditation)
            By Sayadaw U Silananda

            Also in wma audio format as
            U_Silananda_loving_kindness_meditation.wma
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhaviharas/files