Thich Nhat Hanh - lovingkindness (maitri/metta)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007
      "The Buddha said, the practice of Maitri, or loving-kindness brings
      us beauty, beauty that makes life meaningful. He also said that if
      you practice Karuna or compassion, what you feel is infinite space.
      Karuna is the kind of energy that helps you to suffer less, that
      helps people around you to suffer less. Karuna is the kind of energy
      that helps to transform the suffering in us. Suffering is like the
      compost, the garbage. And love is like the flower. While the compost
      or the garbage, is not beautiful, love and the flower are beautiful.
      The role of suffering and the role of compost are clear. If we know
      how to make use of suffering, if we know how to make use of the
      compost, we can bring about the flower and beauty. Understanding the
      suffering of other people around us and understanding our own
      suffering is very crucial. Because only by understanding suffering
      can we know how to transform the suffering into love. When beauty is
      there, when love is there, when compassion is there, you begin to
      feel a lot of space inside and around you. When we speak of love,
      compassion, we tend to believe that the person, who profits from that
      love, and from that compassion, is another person. We tend to forget
      that right in the moment when love is born in our heart, compassion
      is also born in our heart. We are the first person to benefit from
      it. Because love and compassion, when they are born immediately they
      bring beauty and happiness right away to us."

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh, lecture on "Love"
      www.plumvillage.org.