Watering the seeds of joy - Thich Nhat Hanh

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
      "We often ask, 'What's wrong?' Doing so, we invite painful seeds of
      sorrow to come up and manifest. We feel suffering, anger, and
      depression, and produce more such seeds. We would be much happier if
      we tried to stay in touch with the healthy, joyful seeds inside of us
      and around us. We should learn to ask, "What's not wrong?" and be in
      touch with that. There are so many elements in the world and within
      our bodies, feelings, perceptions and consciousness that are
      wholesome, refreshing, and healing. If we block ourselves, if we
      stay in the prison of our sorrow, we will not be in touch with these
      healing elements.

      "Life is filled with many wonders, like the blue sky, the sunshine,
      the eyes of a baby. Our breathing, for example, can be very
      enjoyable. In enjoy breathing every day. But many people appreciate
      the joy of breathing only when they have asthma or a stuffed-up
      nose. We don't need to wait until we have asthma to enjoy our
      breathing. Awareness of the precious elements of happiness is itself
      the practice of right mindfulness. Elements like these are within us
      and all around us. In each second of our lives we can enjoy them.
      If we do so, seeds of peace, joy, and happiness will be planted in
      us, and they will become strong. The secret to happiness is
      happiness itself. Wherever we are, any time, we have the capacity to
      enjoy the sunshine, the presence of each other, the wonder of our
      breathing. We don't have to travel anywhere else to do so. We can
      be in touch with these things right now."

      ~ Thich Nhat Hanh, "Peace is Every Step", Parallax Press, 1991