Cv 5.6: A Wish of Loving Kindness

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
      "For those without feet, I have love.
      I have love for all with two feet.
      For those with four feet, I have love.
      I have love for all with many feet.

      May those without feet do me no harm.
      May none with two feet do me harm.
      May those with four feet do me no harm.
      May none with many feet do me harm.

      May all beings, all living things,
      All who've come to be — one and all —
      May they see every blessing!
      May no evil at all come to them!

      Without limit is Buddha.
      Without limit is Dhamma.
      Without limit is Sangha."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/vin/cv/cv.05.06.01x.olen.html
      From: Cv 5.6 (Tipitaka > Vinaya > Cullavagga)
      A Wish of Loving Kindness (excerpt)
      Translated from the Pali by
      Andrew Olendzki
      Translator's note:
      This less-well-known metta verse has its origins in an ancient,
      probably pre-Buddhist, snake charm. It is taught by the Buddha in the
      Vinaya in response to his hearing of a monk who perished after being
      bitten by a snake. The first stanza, not translated here, extends
      loving kindness to the four main groups of snake deities. The Buddha
      tells the monks that if they adequately develop loving kindness to
      these snake deities, they will be free of harm from snake bites.

      More interesting is the characteristic way in which the Buddha adapts
      an existing tradition — charms against snake bites — to serve as a
      vehicle for his own more universal teaching. He expands the
      cultivation of loving kindness far beyond snakes and reptiles to
      include insects, animals and all human beings. At the same time he
      emphasizes the interdependent thinking that one's best protection
      against being harmed is to do no harm oneself to others.

      The word metta has a more unique scope than even that most protean of
      English words — love — can easily express. Except for the fact that
      it throws off the eight-syllable meter of the verse, one can easily
      substitute words such as friendship, friendliness, deep unselfish
      caring or loving kindness.
    • David Kotschessa
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        Just saw this quote on an unrelated forum. On the
        surface it appears trite perhaps, but I think there is
        a lot more to it:

        "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is
        fighting some kind of battle."

        -DaveK

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hi Dave,

          Great to hear from you!

          This reminds me of this quote by Thanissaro Bhikkhu:

          "we're all sick and dying on a subtle level,
          so we all deserve continual compassion."
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/compassion.html

          with metta / Antony.

          >From: David Kotschessa <dkotschessa@...>
          >To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Buddhaviharas] Quote I just read - Kindness
          >Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:00:53 -0800 (PST)
          <snip>
          >"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is
          >fighting some kind of battle."
          >
          >-DaveK

          Advertisement: Looking for a car that won't break the budget?� Go to
          www.tradingpost.com.au
          http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eautotrader%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fbrowse%2Dauto%2FAutomotive%2F%3Freferrer%3Dplace1&_t=758874129&_r=emailtagline_nov&_m=EXT
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008