Ven. Thubten Chodron - hindrances to practice - anger

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2006
      "We can look at it this way: To become Buddhas, we need to practice
      patience and tolerance. Doing this is essential; there's no other way
      to become a Buddha. Have you ever heard of an irritable or intolerant
      Buddha? But with whom can we practice patience? Not with the Buddha,
      because he doesn't upset us. Not with our friends, because they're
      nice to us. Who gives us the opportunity to practice patience? Who is
      so kind and helps us develop that infinitely good quality of
      patience? Only a person who harms us. Only our enemy. That is why our
      enemy is kinder to us than the Buddha."

      ~ Ven. Thubten Chodron, "Working With Anger" Snow Lion Publications,
      2001