Thich Nhat Hanh on Appreciative Joy

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2006
      When you have done something good, you are joyful. But
      when we practice this, if somebody is successful, we
      feel that it is our success, we are joyful together
      with him. If you fail an exam that your sister
      succeeds, you train yourself to be joyful with her
      success. You don't discriminate¬Ö "oh, she's
      successful, I am not, I am so mad". No discrimination.
      You are joyful with her. If somebody has done
      wonderful work, you are so joyful for him and for you
      too. Because you feel that you and him/her are one...

      ...Rejoicing together with others is a very good
      medicine against jealousy. You are joyful with the joy
      of others. You are joyful with the success of
      others...

      ...I am joyful with the joy of all the merits, people
      have done in ten thousand directions. In ten thousand
      directions there are countless people who practice
      merit. Every merit done by others, I feel that it's my
      merit. I feel so joyful, so happy...

      Taking Refuge, © Thich Nhat Hanh
      http://www.plumvillage.org/