Fw: Dharma Quote from Snow Lion Publications

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2006
      Snow Lion Publications Newsletter
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Snow Lion Publications
      To: sharonwerner@...
      Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:35 AM
      Subject: Dharma Quote from Snow Lion Publications

      Dharma Quote of the Week

      If we do not uncover [our] problems--and I saw this in myself--we risk placing a veneer of spirituality over deeply buried emotional wounds from childhood that do not simply go away.

      ...When this happens there is greater potential for our spirituality to become simply another expression of our personal pathology. We can falsify the qualities valued in the path without realizing it. Renunciation can become another level of denial and avoidance; compassion can become a sickly sentimentality that has no substance to it. Our desire to help others can come from "compulsive caring," or a compulsion to sacrifice ourselves because we feel worthless. The Buddhist idea of emptiness can likewise be falsified by the desire to disappear psychologically and merge or lose ego boundaries. Lack of identity, formless vagueness, and absence of boundaries do not exemplify the Buddhist idea of emptiness. My own version of this misconception was to try to live an ideal of the pure and pious only to find it was a form of repression I could not ultimately sustain.

      At the heart of Buddhist practice is the search for a solution to our fundamental wounds. Healing the emotional damage we often carry within is truly the object of this practice. If we wish to resolve these problems, we need to be open and honest about their reality within us. Only when we do will any spiritual practice address what we need. The aim of Buddhist practice is not a spiritual transcendence that dissociates from our suffering. Nor is it the search for salvation in some form of external divine being that we hope will save us in our distress. As one of my teachers, Lama Thubten Yeshe, once said, "Buddhism is very practical; you just have to recognize that your mind is the cause of suffering. If you change your mind, you can find liberation." This message is very simple but by no means easy to follow. In order to do so, however, we must begin to recognize where we are psychologically wounded.

      --from The Wisdom of Imperfection: The Challenge of Individuation in Buddhist Life by Rob Preece, published by Snow Lion Publications

      SNOW LION PUBLICATIONS is dedicated to the preservation of Tibetan Buddhism and culture by publishing books about this great tradition. Tibetan culture is seriously endangered in its homeland and is striving to continue outside of Tibet. To support this effort, in addition to publishing and distributing books, Snow Lion offers a wide range of dharma items, purchased primarily from Tibetans in exile. These include visual art and ritual objects, statues and thangkas, videos, traditional music, and many gift items offered through our webstore and newsletter--over 2000 items--the largest selection anywhere. To browse the complete list go to www.snowlionpub.com and select any of the categories in left-hand margin.

      When you choose to purchase from Snow Lion you are directly supporting the large effort to publish more Buddhist texts and help the Tibetan people.

      by Rob Preece

      Contact Us:

      N. America: (800) 950-0313
      Worldwide: (607) 273-8519
      By Mail: PO Box 6483, Ithaca, NY
      14851 USA
      By Email: tibet@...
      New Items Available Online:

      a.. New Books
      b.. New Dharma Items
      c.. Gifts
      d.. 2006 Calendars
      e.. General Catalog: www.snowlionpub.com
      Sign Up:
      Receive Snow Lion's Weekly Quotes and Quarterly E-newsletter at the

      List Management Center.

      Snow Lion Publications is happy to send you a weekly quote from various Tibetan Buddhist teachers.

      Visit our website for these related items:

      a.. 20% OFF all Snow Lion Titles in our Library of Tibetan Buddhism & Culture

      b.. Read the Latest Edition of

      the Snow Lion Newsletter

      c.. Sign Up for Other Weekly Quotes and Updates

      d.. Search the World Buddhist Events Database

      e.. Check Your Monthly
      Buddhist Astrology

      f.. Remove Me from the Quotes or Newsletter Email List

      Snow Lion Publications
      PO Box 6483
      Ithaca NY 14851-6483
      Telephone: 800-950-0313 or 607-273-8519
      fax: 607-273-8508 ©2003 Snow Lion Publications
      email: info@...