Equanimity

    Message 1 of 121 , Dec 1, 2005
      "How can we develop [an attitude of equanimity]? Well, one thing we
      can do is to check our mind, to question why we respond the way we do.
      Why do we feel hurt and angry when someone says bad things about us?
      Why are we so concerned about what other people think and say about
      us? Does the opinion of others make us what we are? If other people
      dislike and criticize us, does that necessarily mean we are bad?
      Alternatively, if others like and respect us, does that necessarily
      mean we are good?

      "Giving too much credence to what others say about us can cause us to
      be emotionally unstable and to have an unrealistic view of ourselves."

      ~ The Eight Verses of Thought Transformation
      An explanation by Ven Sangye Khadro

      Message 121 of 121 , Feb 21, 2011
        "How can we develop [an attitude of equanimity]?
        Well, one thing we can do is to check our mind, to question why we respond the way we do.
        Why do we feel hurt and angry when someone says bad things about us?
        Why are we so concerned about what other people think and say about us?
        Does the opinion of others make us what we are?
        If other people dislike and criticize us, does that necessarily mean we are bad?
        Alternatively, if others like and respect us, does that necessarily mean we are good?

        "Giving too much credence to what others say about us can cause us to
        be emotionally unstable and to have an unrealistic view of ourselves."

        ~ The Eight Verses of Thought Transformation
        An explanation by Ven Sangye Khadro

        Thanks Sharon for posting this in 2005.