(3) What Metta Isn't by Bodhipaksa

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2005
      "Metta isn't the same thing as feeling good, although when we feel
      metta we do feel more complete, and usually feel more joyful and
      happy. But it's possible to feel good and for that not to be metta.
      We can feel good, but be rather selfish and inconsiderate, for
      example. Metta has a quality of caring about others.

      Metta isn't self-sacrifice. A metta-full individual is not someone
      who always puts others before themselves. Metta has a quality of
      appreciation, and we need to learn to appreciate ourselves as well as
      others.

      Metta isn't something unknown. We all experience Metta. Every time
      you feel pleasure in seeing someone do well, or are patient with
      someone who's a bit difficult, or are considerate and ask someone
      what they think, you're experiencing Metta.

      Metta isn't denying your experience. To practice Metta doesn't
      mean "being nice" in a false way. It means that even if you don't
      like someone, you can still have their welfare at heart.
      http://www.wildmind.org/meditation/metta/intro_whatisnt.html

      For links to text and audio on metta methods, emotions, overview and
      Stages 1-5 click on the above link.

      Copyright © 2000-2004, Bodhipaksa.
      Posted here with kind permission of Bodhipaksa

      To be continued tomorrow....
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
        "There are many myths and misunderstandings about metta, or
        lovingkindness.

[...]

        Metta isn't all or nothing. Metta exists in degrees, and can be
        expressed in such simple ways as simple as politeness and courtesy."
        http://www.wildmind.org/metta/introduction/what-metta-isnt
        For links to text and audio on metta methods, emotions, overview and
        Stages 1-5 click on the above link.

        Copyright © 2000-2007, Bodhipaksa.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2009
[...]

          Copyright © 2000-2009, Bodhipaksa.

[...]