Ajahn Brahm on Mudita (appreciative joy)

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
      Mudita (Appreciative Joy)

      "There is such a thing as goodness in the world. We can develop this
      mudita, this celebration of the goodness in others. And an amazing
      thing happens - [the goodness] does grow. The people we are with tend
      to show that side more to us when we recognize it. And we show that
      side more to ourselves.

      "Sometimes as a monk (you may not think this) but I work very hard
      and I sometimes get physically very tired. So many things which I
      do -
      teaching overseas, teaching here, doing administration, teaching the
      monks . . . sometimes there are a lot of things on my plate.
      Sometimes I get very tired and I have to give a talk . . . the reason
      why [I have the energy to continue] is that when I get tired, I start
      to focus on all the good things I've done that day. I look upon the
      service which I have given. I deliberately focus on the beauty
      inside. I forget about all the faults and the silly things which I
      have done. When I start to focus on the beauty and goodness which I
      have done, I'm actually bringing out the perception of the good
      kamma. When I do that more and more, I get a sense of goodness coming
      out. I celebrate the goodness. When I celebrate the goodness, I get
      happiness, and the energy starts to come up. That's one of the way
      I've got this energy source inside, by focusing on the goodness.

      "What happens when you focus on the badness? What sort of energies do
      you get? Do you get depressed? Do you get tired? Do you get really
      fed up, 'What's the point?' You can never get out of the ruts and the
      holes in life by focusing on the faults and the badness. You just get
      deeper and deeper into a hole. You can always focus on the goodnes.
      There's always something good there."

      ~ Ajahn Brahmavamso, "Mudita: Sympathetic Joy"

      http://www.bswa.org

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2008
        "There is such a thing as goodness in the world. We can develop this
        mudita, this celebration of the goodness in others. And an amazing
        thing happens - [the goodness] does grow. The people we are with tend
        to show that side more to us when we recognize it. And we show that
        side more to ourselves.
        <big snip>
        "What happens when you focus on the badness? What sort of energies do
        you get? Do you get depressed? Do you get tired? Do you get really fed
        up, 'What's the point?' You can never get out of the ruts and the
        holes in life by focusing on the faults and the badness. You just get
        deeper and deeper into a hole. You can always focus on the goodness.
        There's always something good there."
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhaviharas/message/2123
        ~ Ajahn Brahmavamso, "Mudita: Sympathetic Joy"

        http://www.bswa.org

        Thanks to Sharon for posting this in 2005.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2009

          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddhaviharas/message/2123?var=0&l=1