Ven. Thubten Chodron on compassion

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
      "It's just real interesting to reflect on and recognize where in our attempt to be happy [unskillfully] we actually create the cause for
      our own unhappiness. And when we can see that real clearly in our own life - that we really want to be happy, but because of our own
      ignorance, because of our own self-cherishing [as opposed to cherishing other beings as much as ourselves] - we often basically
      just create the cause for more confusion now and in the future.

      "When we can really see that in our own life and make real clear examples of it, then we can begin to have compassion for ourselves.
      Because we really do realize that we wish ourselves well, but it's because of this mind that's just habituated with self-grasping and
      self-cherishing that we keep on doing counterproductive things. So we begin to develop some real genuine compassion for ourselves and
      patience with ourselves. And from that then we can spread that to others, and we can realize that other beings, too, want happiness,
      but they're stuck with the same ignorance and self-cherishing that we are. They're making more and more difficulties form themselves, too,
      in spite of their wish to be happy. That can evoke a feeling of tolerance and compassion for others. And that becomes a . . . deeper
      kind of compassion, of acceptance, of what we are and what others are. It's not just painting on some kind of plastic acceptance."

      ~ Ven. Thubten Chodron, Cultivating Bodhicitta through Equalizing and
      Exchanging Self and Others - An Overview. DFF, Seattle. 26 Jul 93,
      www.thubtenchodron.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2010
        "The key word in the four immeasurables is all. All sentient beings. 'All' is
        a short word with great meaning. We don't simply think, 'May my friends,
        relatives, and everyone who loves me have happiness and its causes.' Even
        animals want that. We are human beings, so we try to extend the limits of our
        love beyond those of an animal and so we practice thinking, 'May the person who
        cut me off on the highway have happiness and its causes. May that doctor who
        gave me the wrong prescription have happiness and its causes. May the person
        who hung up on me, the person who complained about me at work, my friend who
        won't speak to me, my cousin who doesn't invite me to her parties - may all
        these people have happiness and its causes.

        "When our compassion becomes strong, we will be able to think and feel, 'May
        Timothy McVeigh (the man responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing) and Saddam
        Hussein have happiness and its causes and be free from suffering and its causes.
        May George W. Bush and Bill Clinton have happiness and its causes and be free
        from suffering and its causes.' We must try gradually to extend the scope of
        our equanimity, love, compassion, and joy, spreading them out to all sentient
        beings, not excluding even one. All!"

        ~ Ven. Thutben Chodron, "Cultivating a Compassionate Heart: The Yoga Method of
        Chenrezig," Snow Lions Publications, 2006.

        May this be of benefit
        .

        You may be interested in visiting Ven. Chodron's websites.

        www.thubtenchodron.org
        www.sravastiabbey.org