Hindrances to meditation - ill-will

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      "Once we have discovered an unwholesome thought in us, we don't have
      to believe it. We simply have to recognize it: this is an
      unwholesome thought; it harms me because it doesn't make me happy, it
      disturbs me and makes my life more difficult.

      "Thoughts based on hatred are easy to recognize because they feel
      terrible. Everyone has been annoyed at some point and knows exactly
      how this feels. The same is true of hating someone. It feels as if
      we are thrusting arrows into our own heart. When we observe that,
      sooner or later we will notice that we are fools to hurt ourselves.
      People who sense a lot of hatred in themselves are much readier to
      practice, because they want to get rid of all that unpleasantness."

      ~ Ayya Khema, "Visible Here and Now: The Buddha's Teachings on the
      Rewards of Spiritual Practice," Shambhala Publications, Inc., 2001.
      (A translation of the Sammanaphala Sutta with commentary.)