Re: Metta and Other Meditations - OOPS!

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
      Leo,

      I reversed the order of a couple of groups in the first example of
      structuring Metta meditation. The disliked person should be
      followed by the wider community (town, etc.), then animals, etc. At
      least traditionally.

      And welcome to the group!

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Werner"
      <sharonwerner@c...> wrote:
      > Hi Leo,
      >
      > My first meditation teacher encouraged us to spend about an hour
      on Metta meditation, breaking the hour down more or less evenly
      between developing Metta for ourself, a benefactor, a good friend, a
      neutral person, a disliked person (traditionally "enemy); groups of
      beings such as mammals, reptiles, instects, being that live in the
      water; followed by a progression through those in this household, in
      this town, in this country, in the entire world, in the entire
      universe.

      > You can find audio of this sequence in a guided meditation at
      (possibly an abbreviated version) at:

      > http://www.vipassana.com/audio_files/
      >
      > As an alternative, Bhante Gunaratana has an hour-long guided
      outline of Metta meditation which can be found at:

      > http://www.bhavanasociety.org/bhavana.asp?f=articles/bg010
      >
      > Some teachers also recommend spending some weeks using that hour
      developing Metta for one person (several weeks on ourself, several
      weeks on a benefactor, etc.) over a longer period of time.

      -----------
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
        Dear Leo, Sharon and Group,

        My Metta practice has changed since I listened to this guided
        lovingkindness meditation at:
        http://www.dhammadownload.com/SayaDaw%20U%20Silananda%20-Eng.htm
        What moved me was the long pauses between phrases. Before I used to
        say lots of phrases one after the other. Now I'm happy to let the
        phrase sink in, even if the mind wanders for minutes at a time and I
        don't even get past the first phrase. Last night I did a 30 minute
        session. The mind wandered for several minutes at a time but not in
        an unwholesome way and I just kept gently coming back to "May I be
        wonderfully well". At the end I added "May all beings be wonderfully
        well". (Sending to self and all beings is the minimum.) Maybe the
        quality of practice is not just measured by the total time saying the
        phrases (between the minutes of wandering) but embraces all of the
        mind's aliveness.

        For tips on metta practice there is a huge amount of material in our
        archives:
        You can search for keywords.

        I look forward to discussing metta with you.

        with metta / Antony.

        <sharonwerner@c...> wrote:
        > Hi Leo,
        >
        > My first meditation teacher encouraged us to spend about an hour on
        Metta meditation, breaking the hour down more or less evenly between
        developing Metta for ourself, a benefactor, a good friend, a neutral
        person, a disliked person (traditionally "enemy); groups of beings
        such as mammals, reptiles, instects, being that live in the water;
        followed by a progression through those in this household, in this
        town, in this country, in the entire world, in the entire universe.

        > You can find audio of this sequence in a guided meditation at
        (possibly an abbreviated version) at:

        > http://www.vipassana.com/audio_files/
        >
        > As an alternative, Bhante Gunaratana has an hour-long guided
        outline of Metta meditation which can be found at:

        > http://www.bhavanasociety.org/bhavana.asp?f=articles/bg010
        >
        > Some teachers also recommend spending some weeks using that hour
        developing Metta for one person (several weeks on ourself, several
        weeks on a benefactor, etc.) over a longer period of time.

        > What do the rest of you think?
        >
        > In lovingkindness,
        >
        > Sharon

      • Leo (All Intelligent Views Exchange)
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          Thank you for your messages.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2005
            Hi

            Thanks for your reply. I am new to groups, so I did not see your reply
            before. It is a little confusing how it all put in a certain order.
            Anyway, It is good to practice meditation and that becomes part of your
            life and after awhile it is your past. Interesting, that today we make
            the past. Also, I think it is important to make it together with
            other practices, that is why I was asking about "what set can be, to
            suggest?"
            Metta along would be wish. Some meditations have no wish, but just to
            observe, some have something else.
            Some pay attention to Sattipatana, some to different links of
            enlightenment. I have seen many things, doing my research on a web, but
            everybody has his way.
            I was doing metta meditation under the tree and after i was done with
            that, I realized, that sometimes you need to make action to change
            things, it should be done by body and to find a better life or resolve
            some conditions for that.
            Other times I finish with tranquil mind. That is my experinece.
            And it is interesting: do I need to observe my experience after
            meditation or accept experience and thinking. What do you think?
            With metta
            Leo