Buddha’s touch: stories pls

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      In order to appreciate the Buddha's great compassion, I am looking
      for stories where the Buddha touched somebody.

      Even in one version of the sick monk needing bathing Ananda did the
      bathing and Buddha just sprinkled water on him. I hope this version
      is incorrect.

      Babies die if they aren't touched.

      Joseph Goldstein once told this moving version of a story of the
      Buddha and a dullard. See: "He stroked the poor dullard's head and
      consoled him":

      "One of my favorite stories from the Buddha's time tells
      about a disciple of the Buddha who was very dull. His
      brother, another disciple, was an arhat, fully
      enlightened, and was also very smart. The dullard had
      been inspired by the teachings and had been ordained as
      a monk. He had the sweetest heart, but his mind was
      really slow. Because he was slow, his brother gave him
      as his practice a four-line verse of the Buddha's
      teachings to memorize.

      The dullard struggled and struggled to learn one line.
      Then, as he was trying to learn the second line, it
      pushed out the first. One line was all his mind could
      hold. This struggle went on and on; he simply did not
      have the intelligence to do it. His arhat brother
      finally gave up and said, "This is hopeless. You had
      better leave the order of monks." The poor dullard was
      totally dejected. He felt so sad, because his heart was
      devoted to the Dharma.

      As the dullard was walking back to his village, feeling
      very low, the Buddha, knowing what had happened, came
      and walked by his side. He stroked the poor dullard's
      head and consoled him by giving him a practice exactly
      suitable to his condition. "Here's a meditation subject
      for you. Take this white hankerchief and stand out in
      the hot sun and rub it." That was the whole meditation.

      So the dullard took the hankerchief, went out in the
      sun, and began to rub it. Slowly the hankerchief started
      to become dirty with the sweat from his hand. As that
      happened, memories awakened in him of previous lifetimes
      of practice, when he had seen impurities coming from his
      body. As he continued to watch the soiled handkerchief,
      a profound dispassion arose and his mind opened. He
      became fully enlightened, intelligence and all the
      traditional psychic powers came to him, in addition to
      deep understanding of the Dharma. The story then ends by
      describing some good-humored psychic tricks the former
      dullard played on his surprised brother.

      I feel great affection for the dullard."

      (from "Intelligence and Progress" in "Insight
      Meditation" pp6-7)

      Do you know any other stories where the Buddha touches somebody out
      of compassion?

      Thanks / Antony.

      P.S. Ven Nyanaponika wrote:
      "love, that lies like a soft but firm hand on the ailing beings, ever
      unchanged in its sympathy, without wavering, unconcerned with any
      response it meets."
      [url=http://www.buddhanet.net/ss03.htm%5d
      http://www.buddhanet.net/ss03.htm%5b/url]
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2005
        Antony,

        I'm sorry that I don't know of any such stories specifically. I'm
        sure they must be out there.

        Anyone?

        :9)

        Sharon