Re: [Buddhaviharas] Re: Compassion and obstacles

  • philip Coristine
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hi Sharon and Antony

      Thanks for the below, Sharon. Yes, for the time being I suspect I'll be
      focussing on a pretty strict emphasis on the Pali Canon. I hope I don't
      become too much of a fundamentalist about it! :)

      Antony, I want to thanks you again for pointing me towards "Roots of Good
      and Evil" by nanamoli Thera. I think it's safe to say that it has
      consistenly given me more straightforward guidance than any Dhamma book I've
      read.

      I'm cutting down my internet time to give my poor tired eyes a break and
      working six days a week, so sorry that I haven't been joining your
      discussions more. Hopefully I will be when Autumn rolls around....

      Metta,
      Phil

    • Phil
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
        Hi Sharon, Antony and all

        I'm back! I think the below was the last post I wrote, maybe. I
        got into studying Abhidhamma quite hard under a Thai teacher who is
        featured at another Yahoo group, and although I think I learned a
        lot to help me, I know want to go back to a more compassion based
        practice with more emphasis on intentionally cultivating the brahma-
        viharas.

        Actually, there was another member here who warned me about
        getting too deep into Abhidhamma - we were talking about the wisdom
        wing and the compassion wing, I think. Now I see he was right.

        Anyways, look forward to getting in touch with you all again.

        I'm going to read through the posts I've misssed, and maybe bring
        some of them up to our attention again.

        Metta,

        Phil

        <philco777@...> wrote:

        > >--- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "philip Coristine"
        > ><philco777@h...> wrote:
        > > > If people didn't flinch away from suffering with aversion,
        trying
        > >to find
        > > > comfort, how much less suffering there would be! Easier said
        than
        > >done, of
        > > > course...
        > > >

        > >So true, so true. Phil, do you ever read Pema Chodron or do you
        stick
        > >to more Theravada-style teachers? I love her perspective on what
        you
        > >just said above.
        >
        > Hi Sharon
        >
        > That's a good question. For some reason, I haven't been
        reading the
        > Tibetan teachers or Mahayana teachers that were so helpful for me.
        I have on
        > the beginner's blinders that have me focussing on the area of
        Dhamma that I
        > am especially keen on now. (The Pali Canon, including Abhidhamma)
        I should
        Thubten Chodron
        > talk on the worldly concerns has been for me. Could you provide a
        link to a
        > talk related to the above, or is it in a book? MY book buying
        budget is
        > still strictly limited.
        >
        > Metta,
        > Phil

        FREE!

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 29, 2007
          Phil,

          Welcome back! We've missed you! And I'll bet the wisdom you've absorbed from the Abhidhamma will be a wonderful balance to our discussions here. I hope you'll have a chance to share some of that.

          I hope all is well with you and yours.

          <philco777@...> wrote:

          > >--- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "philip Coristine"
          > ><philco777@h...> wrote:
          > > > If people didn't flinch away from suffering with aversion,
          trying
          > >to find
          > > > comfort, how much less suffering there would be! Easier said
          than
          > >done, of
          > > > course...
          > > >

          > >So true, so true. Phil, do you ever read Pema Chodron or do you
          stick
          > >to more Theravada-style teachers? I love her perspective on what
          you
          > >just said above.
          >
          > Hi Sharon
          >
          > That's a good question. For some reason, I haven't been
          reading the
          > Tibetan teachers or Mahayana teachers that were so helpful for me.
          I have on
          > the beginner's blinders that have me focussing on the area of
          Dhamma that I
          > am especially keen on now. (The Pali Canon, including Abhidhamma)
          I should
          Thubten Chodron
          > talk on the worldly concerns has been for me. Could you provide a
          link to a
          > talk related to the above, or is it in a book? MY book buying
          budget is
          > still strictly limited.
          >
          > Metta,
          > Phil

          FREE!

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 29, 2007
            Dear Phil,

            Welcome back! I searched the archives and it's been two years! (I
            started the paramitas Yahoo Group you suggested and also
            8WorldlyConcerns. For a full list of my 22 Yahoo Groups see the files
            section.)

            I am inspired by what Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote in the Introduction to the
            Samyutta Nikaya:
            >>"In AN, persons are as a rule not reduced to mere collections of
            >>aggregates,
            >>elements and sense-bases, but are treated as real centers of living
            >>experience engaged in a heartfelt quest for happiness and freedom
            >>from
            >>suffering."

            I have news from Bhikkhu Bodhi that he hopes to finish his translation
            of the Anguttara Nikaya within a couple of years.
            http://www.abhayagiri.org/index.php/main/article/the_highest_blessing/

            with metta / Antony.

            --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <philco777@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sharon, Antony and all
            >
            > I'm back! I think the below was the last post I wrote, maybe. I
            > got into studying Abhidhamma quite hard under a Thai teacher who is
            > featured at another Yahoo group, and although I think I learned a
            > lot to help me, I know want to go back to a more compassion based
            > practice with more emphasis on intentionally cultivating the brahma-
            > viharas.
            >
            > Actually, there was another member here who warned me about
            > getting too deep into Abhidhamma - we were talking about the wisdom
            > wing and the compassion wing, I think. Now I see he was right.
            >
            > Anyways, look forward to getting in touch with you all again.
            >
            > I'm going to read through the posts I've misssed, and maybe bring
            > some of them up to our attention again.
            >
            > Metta,
            >
            > Phil

          • philip Coristine
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007
              Thanks Antony, and Sharon.

              Really interested in checking out your eight worldly concerns group
              especially, Antony. As Sharon will remember, the talk that Thubten Chodron
              gave on them (very early on in the archives) was hugely influential for me.

              Looking forward to catching up. Won't be able to quite yet.

              Metta,

              Phil

              >From: "Antony Woods" <antony272b@...>
              >To: Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Buddhaviharas] Re: Phil is back! ( was Re: Compassion and
              >obstacles)
              >Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 03:32:01 -0000
              >
              >Dear Phil,
              >
              >Welcome back! I searched the archives and it's been two years! (I
              >started the paramitas Yahoo Group you suggested and also
              >8WorldlyConcerns. For a full list of my 22 Yahoo Groups see the files
              >section.)
              >
              >I am inspired by what Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote in the Introduction to the
              >Samyutta Nikaya:
              > >>"In AN, persons are as a rule not reduced to mere collections of
              > >>aggregates,
              > >>elements and sense-bases, but are treated as real centers of living
              > >>experience engaged in a heartfelt quest for happiness and freedom
              > >>from
              > >>suffering."
              >
              >I have news from Bhikkhu Bodhi that he hopes to finish his translation
              >of the Anguttara Nikaya within a couple of years.
              >http://www.abhayagiri.org/index.php/main/article/the_highest_blessing/
              >
              >with metta / Antony.
              >
              >--- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <philco777@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Sharon, Antony and all
              > >
              > > I'm back! I think the below was the last post I wrote, maybe. I
              > > got into studying Abhidhamma quite hard under a Thai teacher who is
              > > featured at another Yahoo group, and although I think I learned a
              > > lot to help me, I know want to go back to a more compassion based
              > > practice with more emphasis on intentionally cultivating the brahma-
              > > viharas.
              > >
              > > Actually, there was another member here who warned me about
              > > getting too deep into Abhidhamma - we were talking about the wisdom
              > > wing and the compassion wing, I think. Now I see he was right.
              > >
              > > Anyways, look forward to getting in touch with you all again.
              > >
              > > I'm going to read through the posts I've misssed, and maybe bring
              > > some of them up to our attention again.
              > >
              > > Metta,
              > >
              > > Phil

            • Phil
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2007
                Hi Sharon

                > Welcome back!

                Thanks!

                > We've missed you!

                Me too. I always remember how much this group helped me when I was
                freaking out about some medical concerns.

                > And I'll bet the wisdom you've absorbed from the Abhidhamma will
                be a wonderful balance to our discussions here. I hope you'll have
                a chance to share some of that.

                Well, I don't think there is much wisdom. The teacher I was
                following taught against meditation, believe it or not, because of
                clinging to self involved but I've gotten free of that and am
                meditating again. I want to continue to study Abhidhamma from
                different sources, such as the Burmese Sayadaws who are certainly
                keen on meditating but still teach Abdhihamma. Certainly
                appreciating that metta is a conditionned dhamma that arises when
                there are conditions for it helps to get us away from thinking we
                can have metta whenever we want. But I think my former teacher was
                wrong to say that *wanting* to have metta is an akusala
                (unwholesome) mental state. Anyways, let's not get into that. I am
                trying to wash that teacher out of my hair, though she means very
                well.

                > I hope all is well with you and yours.

                You too Sharon. I forget your husband's name (Dave?) and I even
                forget what medical problem he had - but I hope you are all well. I
                guess your son is around 8 now?

                Metta,

                Phil