Compassion and Equanimity

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2005

      Compassion and Equanimity

      "Well, the wisdom side is recognizing that this whole awful image we have of ourselves is a hallucination; and that we have, through the process of all of our conceptualization, put ourselves in this tiny little room, and feel entrapped by the world. But it's actually our image of ourselves that has entrapped us, so we should say, 'This is just an image. I don't need to hang on to that. Ok, I did bungle something as a kid, and I did get scolded. But I'm forty years old now and I don't need to act like a three-year-old. I'm not a three-year-old. I don't need to hold on to whatever it was that happened.' Whether it happened when you were three, or twenty-three, or forty-three or eighty-three, you don’t need to hold on to that, because that was one event in your whole life, and it's not the defining character of who you are. But we just kind of highlight certain things and then cast them in mental concrete, and then fight against the walls that we've put around ourselves. Recognize that we don't need to do that. When you start to see this judgmental mind coming, 'Why can't you do this right? Why can't you do that right? Why don't you do this? You should do this. You ought to do this. Somebody else is doing this. Why can't you be like them?' Like when you're doing the breathing meditation, the mind goes, 'Why can't you concentrate better? Why can't you …' Just look at it and say, 'Be quiet.' Or just look at it and say, 'It's chattering away but I don't need to believe it. I don't need to think like this. This thought is not me. This is just a thought going through my mind. It's not me. It's not even realistic.' Learn to identify which of our thoughts and feelings are based on reality, and which are based on hallucination.

      Disadvantages of Not Thinking about Death (including explanation of the Eight Worldly Concerns) (lightly edited transcript)

      by Ven. Thubten Chodron ©, at Dharma Friendship Foundation, Seattle, 1991/92.

      www.thubtenchodron.org