Metta (lovingkindness)

    Message 1 of 51 , Apr 28, 2005

      Metta (lovingkindness)

      "May all that all living beings see, hear, smell, taste, touch and think help them to cultivate loving-kindness, compassion, appreciative joy, equanimity! May all of them help them to cultivate the thought of generosity and gentleness! May all of them help them to relax and activate their friendly behavior! May all of them be a source of peace and happiness. May they help their personalities! May they help them to be healthy! May all of them help them to be free from fear, tension, anxiety, worry, and restlessness!"

      ~ excerpted from PRACTICING LOVING-KINDNESS II
      by Bhante H. Gunaratana

      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 17, 2005
        "Clarity of thinking comes from purification of one's emotions, which
        is a difficult job that needs to be done. But it can only be done
        successfully when it isn't an emotional upheaval, but clearcut,
        straightforward work that one does on oneself. When it is considered
        to be just that, it takes the sting out of it. The charge of 'I'm so
        wonderful' or 'I'm so terrible' is defused. We are neither wonderful
        nor terrible. Everyone is a human being with all the potential and
        all the obstructions. If one can love that human being, the one that
        is 'me' with all its faculties and tendencies, then one can love
        others realistically, usefully and helpfully. But if one makes a
        break in the middle and loves the part which is nice and dislikes the
        part which isn't nice enough, one's never going to come to grips with
        reality. One day we'll have to see it, for what it is. It's
        a 'working ground,' a 'kammatthana.' It's a straightforward and
        interesting affair of one's own heart.

        "If we look at ourselves in that manner, we will learn to love
        ourselves in a wholesome way."

        ~ Ayya Khema, "All of Us"