sharonwgtrhcc@charterinternet.com

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2005

      Compassion

      "To cultivate compassion - altruism - in meditation it is necessary to have the assistance of wisdom. It is said that with the help of wisdom, compassion can become limitless. This is because the afflictive emotions prevent the development of limitless compassion, and in order to destroy these afflictive emotions it is necessary to know the nature of phenomena. The reason for this is that the afflictive emotions superimpose a goodness and badness upon phenomena which exceeds the measure of what is there, the sign of this being that after we are either very desirous or very angry and that emotion has subsided, when we look at the same object, we look at it very differently and even burst into laughter at ourselves. To counter this superimposition and hence prevent the arising of afflictive emotions it is necessary to know the final nature of phenomena correctly, without superimposition; we need to know the absence of inherent existence in all phenomena."~ H. H. the Dalai Lama, "Kindness, Clarity and Insight, Snow Lion Publications, 1984.