Joy: appreciating our precious human lives (re-send)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005

      - Joy: appreciating our precious human lives (re-send)

      "The starting point for many problems is the way we feel about ourselves and our life. Human existence is very precious, but normally we fail to appreciate it. We have so much potential, so much latent wisdom and loving kindness, so much to offer to the world, but we ignore this and let ourselves be clouded with depression. Focusing on shortcoming in our character and failings in our dealings with people and work, for example, we develop an unfair, low opinion of ourselves. This self-image becomes more and more concrete over time. We identify ourselves as incapable and inadequate, and consequently turn to other people in an attempt to find happiness and fulfillment. However, as our friends are likely to feel the same way about themselves, such relationships often bring only more frustration.

      "We can unlock the potential for happiness and satisfaction that lies within each of us by becoming aware of our mental processes, and then applying discriminating wisdom . . . We have to accept our positive as well as our negative traits."

      ~ Ven. Sangye Khadro (Kathleen McDonald), "How to Meditate: A Practical Guide,"

      Wisdom Publications, 1984.