Re: [Buddhaviharas] Re: Equanimity - The Eight Worldly Concerns

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2005
      Hi Antony,

      I don't know about you or anyone else, but when I listen to such guided
      meditations I am struck by how often I withhold my loving-friendliness from
      others because I feel one of the eight worldly concerns in my own life is
      under attack. Someone gossips about me, smearing my reputation; I feel
      compelled to see them as an "enemy" and withhold kindness. My son picks up
      a treasured book and tosses it on the floor (gain/loss, material
      possessions); all of my loving-friendliness dissolves into irritation. I
      consider how much more time I spend working to pay bills (gain/loss) than I
      do on cultivating mindfulness and lovingkindness. (Compare 8 hours a day to
      30-60 minutes on the meditation cushion, assuming I am not maintaining
      constant mindfulness and loving friendliness throughout my work day! ;o) )

      So I think the idea is to notice how often our minds are turned this way and
      that by excessive concern to the eight wordly concerns in our own life (by
      thinking of specific examples like this), and how putting so much energy
      into protecting ourselves in this way keeps us from maintaining the
      lovingkindness we would like to, both towards ourselves and others.