Re: person of integrity talks about others good points, own bad points?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2005
      Dear Sharon,

      �Criticising and nagging is attacking the whole person, not just the one
      aspect of behaviour which can be negotiated without anger.�

      A belated thankyou for your detailed replies on this topic. When my
      concentration is better I may read them again.

      I�ve started applying this teaching with my relationship with my father.
      When I was angry about having 3 large cartons of milk in the fridge because
      they were on special price and wanted him to freeze one, or because he was
      downloading flat out making my internet slow, I realised that by remembering
      my gratitude for his kindness and efforts to provide me with broadband
      internet defused the anger. He even affectionately said �Patience is a
      virtue in Buddhism right?� I told him that I was grateful. He replied

      Now I have realised that finding fault with someone is losing sight of the
      big picture. Criticising and nagging is attacking the whole person, not just
      the one aspect of behaviour which can be negotiated without anger. I ended
      up doing a deal with my father to peel potatoes for mash rather than have
      rice if he would freeze one of the milks. As it turned out, we�ve ended up
      defrosting the milk a few days later and it would have been drunk before the
      expiry date anyway (he was right all along).

      Sharon Salzberg likened attachment to the idea �I will love you if you
      behave in the following 15 ways�. One student said �Only 15? That�s not so
      bad� <audience laughter>

      That�s all for now.

      May this be of benefit;

      May you be well and serene,