Metta - considering the kindness of the enemy

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005

      Metta - considering the kindness of the enemy

      " . . let’s think of the benefit we’ve received even from people who have harmed us. In spite of the harm we’ve received from others, we have all grown. And actually it’s not even in spite of the harm, it’s because of the harm, and if we look back upon those painful episodes in our life, we can see that we did come out of them stronger, we developed our own internal resources, we were shaken up and challenged out of our complacency, and so this growth, although it may have been painful, although it may have been difficult, although we may have felt we weren’t ready for it yet, still, we grew, we’ve developed, and all of that came about due to the people who did harm us and challenge us, the people who put us in difficult situations."

      ~ Ven. Thubten Chodron, "Meditation on Kindness and Gratitude and Love"

      (This is an excerpt from a guided meditation. The transcript can be found online at http://www.thubtenchodron.org/Meditation/MednKindnessGratitudeLove.pdf)

      The audio guided meditation can be found at http://www.thubtenchodron.org/Meditation/meditation.html

      May this be of benefit.

    • plnao
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
        Hi Sharon, and all

        Thanks for this, Sharon. I always appreciate Thubten Chodron's teaching.

          Re enemies and irritating people, I also find that seeing them as small children is helpful. We were all children, starting our with a fresh slate (thought that's not true, really, techincally speaking in Dhamma) but life is hard and things happen and we become irritating and troublesome for others, driven by greed, by hate, by wrong views. But we were all children and if you look closely you can see that we still are!

         Metta,
         Phil