(3) Metta by Charlotte Bell

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2005
      Charlotte Bell wrote:

      Begin by sitting comfortably. Kindness is central to metta practice, so it
      is important to be kind to yourself, and to choose a position that you can
      hold comfortably for a period of time. Traditional meditation postures work
      well, but feel free to use a chair.

      Because it is impossible to love others unconditionally before we are able
      to love ourselves, the first beneficiary of our good will is ourselves.
      Begin by letting your awareness settle in the area of your heart. It may be
      helpful to reflect for a moment on your own good qualities.

      The first phrase is, �May I be safe from inner and outer harm.� Imagine
      yourself as being protected from outer dangers as well as the suffering that
      you might inflict on yourself. Reflect on the meaning of safety, the feeling
      of unconditional security. There is no prescribed amount of time for which
      you must focus on each phrase. Simply move to the next one when it feels
      appropriate.

      The second phrase is, �May I be happy and peaceful of mind.� Again, imagine
      yourself happy and peaceful. What is the quality of unconditional happiness?
      Imagine your own joyous heart being at peace with whatever is happening.

      Next, say to yourself, �May I be healthy and vital.� Picture yourself living
      in a strong and energetic body. If chronic health issues make this concept
      difficult, imagine yourself being at peace with conditions as they are.

      The final phrase is, �May I live with ease.� This is the simple wish that
      your life supports you, with good friends, supportive family and a
      livelihood that you enjoy.

      You can cycle through these phrases, directing them at yourself several
      times and as you feel ready you can switch your focus to a benefactor. Your
      benefactor is a person who has supported or inspired you in your life. You
      may in fact be able to identify several benefactors. I�ve found it helpful
      to spend several months with one benefactor and then begin to include others
      at times when it feels right. Extend the metta wishes to your benefactor for
      as long as you like.
      http://charlottebellyoga.com/metta.html
      This essay appeared in Catalyst Magazine in 2002

      Posted with the kind permission of Charlotte Bell
      http://charlottebellyoga.com/bio.html

      to be continued tomorrow�