Lovingkindness (Metta)

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 14, 2004
      "Just like intelligence is a quality of the mind, so love is a
      quality of the heart. We don't just have intelligence when we have to
      solve a difficult mathematical equation; we don't just have
      intelligence when we have to make logical connections; the mind
      remains intelligent whether we do that or not. It's the same with
      love. The loving quality of the heart remains with us whether there's
      anybody in front of us that we can actually extend that love to or
      not. That quality of the heart needs to be cultivated."

      Ven. Ayya Khema, "Metta," a talk given in Santa Fe, New Mexico,
      April, 1992, transcribed by Brian Kelley and edited by Leigh
      Brasington

      http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/6774/ayyametta.htm

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 8, 2004
        Lovingkindness (Metta)

        "When you make another person smile, you do something to make another
        person feel relief, then suddenly you feel very happy. If you do not
        have a chance to do something to relieve someone else but you have
        the will to be able to relieve him or her, already that good will is
        making you happier. Someone who does not have the energy of love, who
        do not have any will to love, that person is very lost, very lonely
        and very unhappy. For them this loneliness is like hell, and they
        feel lost, miserable. So we have to learn to know that loving is a
        means to help us to make a link between ourselves and other people
        and other species around us. And we see that we and they are linked
        deeply by one thing, and that is life. And when we feel that we are
        one, linked by that deep ocean of life, then we won't have any desire
        to punish the other person. If you feel hurt by another person try to
        look deeply at what is behind her mistake, her shortcoming, his
        unskillfulness. When we try to understand in that way then we feel
        free from hurt.

        "Love is the most beautiful thing in this life. And love helps us to
        have an open mind and to understand better. Love is the most
        beautiful gift. Our mindfulness is like a mirror. The mirror reflects
        our body and our mind. In the early morning when you wake up, you
        look at the mirror and you see your body, and you smile so that your
        face looks more relaxed. The most beautiful thing of life is love,
        and an open mind, large view. Try to be open, to listen and to
        understand more deeply. Those are the most beautiful things of life:
        understanding, an open mind, to listen and to understand more deeply.
        We look at things with an open mind, with attention and with a
        compassionate view. So I advise you in the early morning when you
        wake up to look in the mirror and smile. Smile to your face, smile to
        life. And also learn to love yourself and love people around you with
        an open mind, with deep listening and deep understanding. So you look
        at somebody with forgiveness, with inclusiveness, but not in
        observation and discrimination. Look like a mother looks on her
        fragile little baby."

        ~ Thich Nhat Hanh, uncopyrighted transcribed lecture on the Metta
        Sutta. (If interested these free transcribed lectures can be found
        at http\\plumvillage.org - follow the links from the homepage.)

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2005

          Lovingkindness (Metta)

          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2005

            Lovingkindness (Metta)

            "Having loving kindness is not allowing others to exploit you, not allowing others to do what they like to do. It is very very important to learn that there are times when we have to assert ourselves, when we have to learn to be firm with others. In this connection, I like to relate a story that I like very much and relating on the story I will end my talk.

            "The story is about a cobra who was practising loving kindness. So there was this cobra in a forest practising loving kindness saying: may all beings be well, may all beings be happy, may all beings be free of suffering. There was an old woman who could not see properly. She was collecting fire wood and she saw the cobra, she thought it was a rope. She used the "rope" to bundle the fire wood she had collected. As the cobra was practising loving kindness, the cobra allowed the old woman to do this. The old woman carried the bundle of fire wood home. Then the cobra escaped with some difficulties, with lots of pain, with lots of wounds in the body. And the cobra went to meet the cobra's master. So the cobra told the master, ‘See what has happened. I adopt your loving kindness. See the wounds, see the pain that I'm experiencing in my body.’ So the master very calmly, gently told the cobra, ‘You have not been practising loving kindness, you have been practising foolish loving kindness. You should have just shown, hissed, that you are a snake, you are a cobra.’ So it is very important that in everyday life we also have to learn what the cobra should learn."

            ~ The Gentle Way of Buddhist MeditationDhamma Talks by Godwin SamararatneHongkong, 1997

            This excerpt can be found among others at: www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/godwin/gw_index.htm May this be of benefit.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2005

              Lovingkindness (Metta)

              "[One] very important aspect of loving kindness is learning to see the positive elements in us, to see the goodness in us, to see the Buddha nature in us. One way of being our own enemy is seeing only our mistakes, seeing only the negative things, only giving minuses to ourselves. So it is extremely important to learn to see the positive elements in us, it is very important to learn to give pluses to ourselves, learning to see our goodness, learning to see our Buddha nature in us. And when we learn to do this, what happens is we see the positive elements in others, we learn to give more and more pluses to others, we see more and more the Buddha nature in others, and then you come to a stage where you won't see a difference between yourself and others."