Metta (lovingkindness) meditation

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      "Often we think of ourselves as so deficient, so unworthy, that we
      relate to the things and the people and the experiences of life as
      objects we need to accumulate to kind of fill in the hole or make
      ourselves feel better about ourselves; as though we could ever get
      enough. Meditation is based on a completely different idea. It's not
      that we have to get some kind of great experience and hold onto as a
      some kind of trophy and be triumphant, show it to everybody; but that
      from the beginning any of us, without exception, have capacities
      innate to our being of love, of compassion, of wisdom, of connection,
      of awareness, that we can nurture, that we can bring forth. But it's
      not like starting out with nothing and trying to 'get' something, and
      then hold onto it. It's a completely different way of being. That's
      why it's about letting go. It's about being gentle. It's about
      realizing we can start again no matter what has happened."

      ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Metta Practice Retreat, Part 2" from a retreat
      given at the Insight Meditation Center, Redwood City, California

      http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/SharonSalzberg.html