Compassion

    Message 1 of 134 , Jun 10, 2004
      "When you see how your afflictions run your life, how out of control
      you are and how in control the afflictions are, instead of getting
      angry and thinking, 'My mind is so uncontrolled, how can I be like
      this?' have, instead, a sense of compassion for yourself. We are
      trying to be happy, trying not to have pain, but look at what the
      mind is doing. It is just constantly creating the causes for more and
      more pain and confusion. This is sad, so have a sense of sadness and
      a sense of compassion for yourself and wish yourself to be free of
      that.

      "Have a sense of tenderness, understanding, and patience with
      yourself because you know you mean well, but then you just get
      overpowered by the afflictions. The more you can have that kind of
      tenderness and patience with yourself, instead of coming on to
      yourself with the judgment thing, then the more you can start to turn
      that same tenderness and compassion and patience towards other people
      when you see them being angry or acting destructive."

      ~ Ven. Thubten Chodron, "The Unsatisfactory Experiences of the Demi-
      gods and Gods; The Root Afflictions – part 1 of 5 (lightly edited
      transcript) Dharma Friendship Foundation, Seattle. 21 Sep 92

      May this be of benefit
      Message 134 of 134 , Jul 24, 2008
        "The Dalai Lama was once asked
        "who is your role model?"
        He replied immediately,
        "The Weeper. The Weeper is a man in Tibet who is so moved by even the
        smallest or slightest suffering, that he weeps whenever he sees
        suffering."
        <snip>
        Shedding tears of compassion is one of the dimensions of being human.
        Our feelings are not just about our "personal stuff".
        They're part of the gift of our emotional intelligence,
        part of the gift of our larger selves.
        This is not to say we should indulge or wallow in our pain for the
        world.
        Nor is it good to wallow in too many TV/media images of suffering.
        Stay fairly well-informed,
        but stay open to the immediacy of life around you,
        and allow compassion to arise from that."
        http://www.flinders.edu.au/oasis/religiousgroups/buddhist/docs/Bobbi's%202nd%20Talk.doc