Re: [Buddhaviharas] Digest Number 490

  • Arthur J
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2004
      Hi Marissa,

      It's very nice to hear from you again, and to hear you
      are doing as well as you can. I'm not surprised that
      meditation helps you. The latest research, and the
      Dalai Lama is involved in this (he and his entourage
      was at MIT in Sept. having their brain waves again
      studied), shows that people who are under stress or
      depressed have a lot of right frontal lob activity.
      Meditation tends to shift activity to the left, and
      when this area is active, you are calm, happy, upbeat.
      There is a physical basis for chronic meditators
      being very happy.

      See a bit of this work described at
      http://www.tibetanliberation.org/happiness.html.

      With lovingkindness,