Lovingkindness

    Message 1 of 43 , Jun 7, 2004
      "In some ways our greatest ally in this practice of love is our wish
      to be happy. This wish functions as a homing instinct for freedom
      when we can unite it with understanding what actually brings us
      happiness. But sometimes we may feel that we do not really deserve
      happiness; we may feel almost ashamed of wanting it. Yet this wish
      is one of the finest things about us, opening the door to
      transcending our limited lives.

      "In certain philosophical systems in India during the Buddha's time,
      it was believed that if the body was tortured enough, abused enough,
      the spirit would soar free and be liberated. Nowadays most of us are
      not inclined to torture our bodies to free our spirits. However, we
      do seem to have our own variation of that theme by believing that if
      we abuse our minds enough with self-hatred and self-condemnation,
      somehow that abuse will be a path that liberates us.

      "For a true spiritual transformation to flourish, we must see beyond
      this tendency to mental self-flagellation. Spirituality based on
      self-hatred can never sustain itself. Generosity coming from self-
      hatred becomes martyrdom. Morality born of self-hatred becomes rigid
      repression. Love for others without the foundation of love for
      ourselves becomes a loss of boundaries, codependency, and a painful
      and fruitless search for intimacy. But when we contact, through
      meditation, our true nature, we can allow others to also find theirs."

      ~ Sharon Salzberg, "Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of
      Happiness", Shambhala Publications, 1995.

      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 17 4:05 AM
        "If perceptions lead to behaviors, can our thoughts bring love into our lives? Absolutely. I know for a fact that we can make the choice to love, that we can make that choice come alive, and that it's sustainable, renewable, and ever-deepening."

        ~ Barry Neil Kaufman, excerpted from Handbook for the Heart (Ed. John Gray), Back Bay Publishers, 1998.