Re: Digest Number 485

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
      Arthur,

      Thank you for your kind words and good perspective. I agree, we're
      very lucky to be dealing with something controllable, and a temporary
      driving restriction is small price to pay for everyone's
      safety. :o) And it's encouraging to hear from that so many people
      have gotten through things like this. (We were a little surprised to
      hear that the driving restriction didn't require my husband to
      surrender his driving license, even temporarily.)

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, Arthur J <arthur_j@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Sharon,
      >
      > It is fortunate that your husband has a diagnosis of
      > something that can be controlled through medication.
      > There are other cardiac and neurologic disorders of
      > people passing out, for which the cure is less
      > certain. When I worked in syncope we had patients who
      > got into serious car accidents when they passed out
      > while driving, and these disorders are not regulated
      > by law in the sense that they can continue to drive.
      > So it is a good thing that he must stop driving. It
      > might not only save his life but other lives as well.
      > I have personally know people who have siezures, and
      > they do very well, and the time restriction for not
      > driving passes quickly.
      >
      > I believe there is something a little magical about
      > positive intentions, either for yourself, or in
      > sending it out to others.
      >

      > With lovindkindness,
      > Arthur
      >
      > --- Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > > --------------------~-->
      > > Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
      > >
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM

      ~->

      > > There are 3 messages in this issue.
      > >
      > > Topics in this digest:
      > >
      > > 1. Re: Request for Metta
      > > From: "Philip" <plnao@j...>
      > > 2. Re: Request for Metta
      > > From: "Sharon" <sharonwerner@c...>
      > > 3. Joy
      > > From: "Sharon" <sharonwerner@c...>

      __

      __

> [...]
      > > From: "Philip" <plnao@j...>
      > > Subject: Re: Request for Metta
      > >

      > > Hi Sharon
      > >
      > > Relieved to hear it isn't too serious. I remember
      > > once my
      > > roomate's sister was staying at our place, and she
      > > had an epileptic
      > > seizure in the middle of the night, suddenly. It was
      > > certainly scary.
      > > It was her first, and last. (For the 3 years I was
      > > still in touch
      > > with her, anyways.)
      > >
      > > After I posted this morning I had you and your
      > > family in my
      > > thoughts. I was thinking about it a lot, because to
      > > tell the truth I
      > > sometimes wonder just how much we can do to help
      > > people in situations
      > > like that. And, to be honest, I don't - personally-
      > > believe that
      > > Metta can be sent to others in any real way. But I
      > > was encouraged by
      > > remembering that, whether formally or not, you've
      > > taken refuge in the
      > > Dhamma. That is the greatest reassurance anyone
      > > could have. I thought
      > > of myself if it were me, and knew that I'd be OK.
      > > The problem is
      > > worry about our loved ones if they haven't come to
      > > see the value of
      > > the Dhamma yet. We can't push it on them, but we
      > > certainly wish they
      > > could have that refuge as well.
      > >
      > > Metta,
      > > Phil
      > > p.s that belief about Metta is just my own
      > > personal view. I don't
      > > mean to cast dispersion on anyone else's
      > > beliefs/practices/understanding.
      > >
      > > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon"
      > > <sharonwerner@c...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Phil
      > > >
      > > > Thanks so much. As it turns out, Terry (my
      > > husband) has a mild
      > > form
      > > > of epilepsy that he has probably had since birth
      > > but was never
      > > > diagnosed. So, fortunately, it seems to be
      > > something
      > > controllable.
      > > > He is on anti-seizure medication now and they
      > > believe there is
      > > every
      > > > chance this may be the only major seizure he
      > > experiences. He can't
      > > > drive for the time being, but that's a small
      > > inconvenience under
      > > the
      > > > circumstances.
      > > >
      > > > The neurologist said that if, on this medication,
      > > he remains free
      > > of
      > > > seizures for 6 months, he will be able to drive
      > > again. (By the
      > > way,
      > > > she told us that if we lived in Japan, Terry would
      > > never be able to
      > > > drive again in his lifetime. I guess I can
      > > understand that!)
      > > >
      > > > Sorry to veer off subject. Thanks, again, for

      __

      __