Re: [Buddhaviharas] Digest Number 485

  • Arthur J
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
      "People who have yet to understand use mind to seek
      mind, and make Buddha seek Buddha."

      --P'u-an

      With lovingkindness,
      Arthur

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
        Arthur,

        Thank you for your kind words and good perspective. I agree, we're
        very lucky to be dealing with something controllable, and a temporary
        driving restriction is small price to pay for everyone's
        safety. :o) And it's encouraging to hear from that so many people
        have gotten through things like this. (We were a little surprised to
        hear that the driving restriction didn't require my husband to
        surrender his driving license, even temporarily.)

        --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, Arthur J <arthur_j@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Sharon,
        >
        > It is fortunate that your husband has a diagnosis of
        > something that can be controlled through medication.
        > There are other cardiac and neurologic disorders of
        > people passing out, for which the cure is less
        > certain. When I worked in syncope we had patients who
        > got into serious car accidents when they passed out
        > while driving, and these disorders are not regulated
        > by law in the sense that they can continue to drive.
        > So it is a good thing that he must stop driving. It
        > might not only save his life but other lives as well.
        > I have personally know people who have siezures, and
        > they do very well, and the time restriction for not
        > driving passes quickly.
        >
        > I believe there is something a little magical about
        > positive intentions, either for yourself, or in
        > sending it out to others.
        >

        > With lovindkindness,
        > Arthur
        >
        > --- Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > > --------------------~-->
        > > Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
        > >
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM

        ~->

        > > There are 3 messages in this issue.
        > >
        > > Topics in this digest:
        > >
        > > 1. Re: Request for Metta
        > > From: "Philip" <plnao@j...>
        > > 2. Re: Request for Metta
        > > From: "Sharon" <sharonwerner@c...>
        > > 3. Joy
        > > From: "Sharon" <sharonwerner@c...>

        __

        __

> [...]
        > > From: "Philip" <plnao@j...>
        > > Subject: Re: Request for Metta
        > >

        > > Hi Sharon
        > >
        > > Relieved to hear it isn't too serious. I remember
        > > once my
        > > roomate's sister was staying at our place, and she
        > > had an epileptic
        > > seizure in the middle of the night, suddenly. It was
        > > certainly scary.
        > > It was her first, and last. (For the 3 years I was
        > > still in touch
        > > with her, anyways.)
        > >
        > > After I posted this morning I had you and your
        > > family in my
        > > thoughts. I was thinking about it a lot, because to
        > > tell the truth I
        > > sometimes wonder just how much we can do to help
        > > people in situations
        > > like that. And, to be honest, I don't - personally-
        > > believe that
        > > Metta can be sent to others in any real way. But I
        > > was encouraged by
        > > remembering that, whether formally or not, you've
        > > taken refuge in the
        > > Dhamma. That is the greatest reassurance anyone
        > > could have. I thought
        > > of myself if it were me, and knew that I'd be OK.
        > > The problem is
        > > worry about our loved ones if they haven't come to
        > > see the value of
        > > the Dhamma yet. We can't push it on them, but we
        > > certainly wish they
        > > could have that refuge as well.
        > >
        > > Metta,
        > > Phil
        > > p.s that belief about Metta is just my own
        > > personal view. I don't
        > > mean to cast dispersion on anyone else's
        > > beliefs/practices/understanding.
        > >
        > > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon"
        > > <sharonwerner@c...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Phil
        > > >
        > > > Thanks so much. As it turns out, Terry (my
        > > husband) has a mild
        > > form
        > > > of epilepsy that he has probably had since birth
        > > but was never
        > > > diagnosed. So, fortunately, it seems to be
        > > something
        > > controllable.
        > > > He is on anti-seizure medication now and they
        > > believe there is
        > > every
        > > > chance this may be the only major seizure he
        > > experiences. He can't
        > > > drive for the time being, but that's a small
        > > inconvenience under
        > > the
        > > > circumstances.
        > > >
        > > > The neurologist said that if, on this medication,
        > > he remains free
        > > of
        > > > seizures for 6 months, he will be able to drive
        > > again. (By the
        > > way,
        > > > she told us that if we lived in Japan, Terry would
        > > never be able to
        > > > drive again in his lifetime. I guess I can
        > > understand that!)
        > > >
        > > > Sorry to veer off subject. Thanks, again, for

        __

        __