Re: [Buddhaviharas] Digest Number 485

  • Arthur J
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
      Hi Sharon,

      It is fortunate that your husband has a diagnosis of
      something that can be controlled through medication.
      There are other cardiac and neurologic disorders of
      people passing out, for which the cure is less
      certain. When I worked in syncope we had patients who
      got into serious car accidents when they passed out
      while driving, and these disorders are not regulated
      by law in the sense that they can continue to drive.
      So it is a good thing that he must stop driving. It
      might not only save his life but other lives as well.
      I have personally know people who have siezures, and
      they do very well, and the time restriction for not
      driving passes quickly.

      I believe there is something a little magical about
      positive intentions, either for yourself, or in
      sending it out to others.

      With lovindkindness,
      Arthur

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM

> [...]
      > experiences. He can't
      > > drive for the time being, but that's a small
      > inconvenience under
      > the
      > > circumstances.
      > >
      > > The neurologist said that if, on this medication,
      > he remains free
      > of
      > > seizures for 6 months, he will be able to drive
      > again. (By the
      > way,
      > > she told us that if we lived in Japan, Terry would
      > never be able to
      > > drive again in his lifetime. I guess I can
      > understand that!)
      > >
      > > Sorry to veer off subject. Thanks, again, for
      > your support. We
      > > appreciate it!
      > >
      > > In lovingkindness,
      > >
      > > Sharon
      > >
      > > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Philip"
      > <plnao@j...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi Sharon.
      > > >
      > > > My thoughts will be with you and your
      > family. Wishing your
      > > > husband a speedy recovery.
      > > >
      > > > Metta,
      > > > Phil
      > > >
      > > > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon"
      > <sharonwerner@c...>

      > a sudden
      > seizure.
      > > > The
      > discovered what
      > > they
      > know so far.

      > your thoughts
      > > during

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:01:03 -0000
      > From: "Sharon" <sharonwerner@...>
      > Subject: Re: Request for Metta
      >
      > Hi Phil and Everyone,
      >
      > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Philip"
      > <plnao@j...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Sharon
      > >
      > > Relieved to hear it isn't too serious. I
      > remember once my
      > > roomate's sister was staying at our place, and she
      > had an epileptic
      > > seizure in the middle of the night, suddenly. It
      > was certainly
      > scary.
      > > It was her first, and last. (For the 3 years I was
      > still in touch
      > > with her, anyways.)
      >
      > We've been hearing similar stories from many people
      > since this has
      > happened. It's very encouraging! So thanks for
      > sharing that. The
      > lady who cuts Terry's hair had a similar thing
      > happen 20 years ago
      > and never again since.
      >

      > > After I posted this morning I had you and your
      > family in my
      > > thoughts. I was thinking about it a lot, because
      > to tell the truth
      > > sometimes wonder just how much we can do to help
      > people in
      > situations
      > > like that. And, to be honest, I don't -
      > personally- believe that
      > > Metta can be sent to others in any real way.

      === message truncated ===

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Arthur J
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
        "People who have yet to understand use mind to seek
        mind, and make Buddha seek Buddha."

        --P'u-an

        With lovingkindness,
        Arthur

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2004
          Arthur,

          Thank you for your kind words and good perspective. I agree, we're
          very lucky to be dealing with something controllable, and a temporary
          driving restriction is small price to pay for everyone's
          safety. :o) And it's encouraging to hear from that so many people
          have gotten through things like this. (We were a little surprised to
          hear that the driving restriction didn't require my husband to
          surrender his driving license, even temporarily.)

          --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, Arthur J <arthur_j@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Sharon,
          >
          > It is fortunate that your husband has a diagnosis of
          > something that can be controlled through medication.
          > There are other cardiac and neurologic disorders of
          > people passing out, for which the cure is less
          > certain. When I worked in syncope we had patients who
          > got into serious car accidents when they passed out
          > while driving, and these disorders are not regulated
          > by law in the sense that they can continue to drive.
          > So it is a good thing that he must stop driving. It
          > might not only save his life but other lives as well.
          > I have personally know people who have siezures, and
          > they do very well, and the time restriction for not
          > driving passes quickly.
          >
          > I believe there is something a little magical about
          > positive intentions, either for yourself, or in
          > sending it out to others.
          >

          > With lovindkindness,
          > Arthur
          >
          > --- Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          > > --------------------~-->
          > > Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
          > >
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM

          ~->

          > > There are 3 messages in this issue.
          > >
          > > Topics in this digest:
          > >
          > > 1. Re: Request for Metta
          > > From: "Philip" <plnao@j...>
          > > 2. Re: Request for Metta
          > > From: "Sharon" <sharonwerner@c...>
          > > 3. Joy
          > > From: "Sharon" <sharonwerner@c...>

          __

          __

> [...]
          > > controllable.
          > > > He is on anti-seizure medication now and they
          > > believe there is
          > > every
          > > > chance this may be the only major seizure he
          > > experiences. He can't
          > > > drive for the time being, but that's a small
          > > inconvenience under
          > > the
          > > > circumstances.
          > > >
          > > > The neurologist said that if, on this medication,
          > > he remains free
          > > of
          > > > seizures for 6 months, he will be able to drive
          > > again. (By the
          > > way,
          > > > she told us that if we lived in Japan, Terry would
          > > never be able to
          > > > drive again in his lifetime. I guess I can
          > > understand that!)
          > > >
          > > > Sorry to veer off subject. Thanks, again, for

          __

          __