Re: Request for Metta

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
      Hi Phil and Everyone,

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <plnao@j...> wrote:

      > Hi Sharon
      >
      > Relieved to hear it isn't too serious. I remember once my
      > roomate's sister was staying at our place, and she had an epileptic
      > seizure in the middle of the night, suddenly. It was certainly
      scary.
      > It was her first, and last. (For the 3 years I was still in touch
      > with her, anyways.)

      We've been hearing similar stories from many people since this has
      happened. It's very encouraging! So thanks for sharing that. The
      lady who cuts Terry's hair had a similar thing happen 20 years ago
      and never again since.

      > After I posted this morning I had you and your family in my
      > thoughts. I was thinking about it a lot, because to tell the truth
      > sometimes wonder just how much we can do to help people in
      situations
      > like that. And, to be honest, I don't - personally- believe that
      > Metta can be sent to others in any real way.

      I don't know, but we sure appreciate the moral support! What was it
      Pema Chodron said when a student asked if their practices such as
      Metta or Compassion could actually help the people we meditate
      on, "Well, I can say with complete certainty that it can't hurt." ;o)

      (I love Pema.)

      > But I was encouraged by
      > remembering that, whether formally or not, you've taken refuge in
      the
      > Dhamma. That is the greatest reassurance anyone could have. I
      thought
      > of myself if it were me, and knew that I'd be OK. The problem is
      > worry about our loved ones if they haven't come to see the value of
      > the Dhamma yet. We can't push it on them, but we certainly wish
      they
      > could have that refuge as well.

      Actually, refuge in the Dhamma is exactly what helped me get through,
      especially the first several hours when we had no idea what was
      going. While my husband went through various tests, I walked around
      the emergency room and waiting area focusing on my breath and steps,
      looking at the different people waiting there, knowing that they all
      had their stories and were suffering in various ways. Many people
      undoubtedly had more to be concerned about that Terry and I did.
      (It's kind of neat, actually. Our teachers tell us that we practice
      on the cushion so that these beneficial states can arise
      spontaneously in our daily life. It's heartening to know that it can
      really happen in the most frightening circumstances.)

      Thanks again for the loving support and wisdom.