Re: Request for Metta

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2004
      Phil

      Thanks so much. As it turns out, Terry (my husband) has a mild form
      of epilepsy that he has probably had since birth but was never
      diagnosed. So, fortunately, it seems to be something controllable.
      He is on anti-seizure medication now and they believe there is every
      chance this may be the only major seizure he experiences. He can't
      drive for the time being, but that's a small inconvenience under the
      circumstances.

      The neurologist said that if, on this medication, he remains free of
      seizures for 6 months, he will be able to drive again. (By the way,
      she told us that if we lived in Japan, Terry would never be able to
      drive again in his lifetime. I guess I can understand that!)

      Sorry to veer off subject. Thanks, again, for your support. We
      appreciate it!

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <plnao@j...> wrote:

      > Hi Sharon.
      >
      > My thoughts will be with you and your family. Wishing your
      > husband a speedy recovery.
      >
      > Metta,
      > Phil
      >
      > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon" <sharonwerner@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi Everyone,
      > >
      > > My husband was taken to the hospital today for a sudden seizure.
      > The
      > > doctors are still running tests, but they have discovered what
      they
      > > think is a brain abnormality. That's all we know so far.
      > >
      > > If you could keep my husband and my family in your thoughts
      during
      > > meditations, we would appreciate it.
      > >
      > > Thank you so much.
      > >
      > > In lovingkindness,
      > >
      > > Sharon
    • Philip
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
        Hi Sharon

        Relieved to hear it isn't too serious. I remember once my
        roomate's sister was staying at our place, and she had an epileptic
        seizure in the middle of the night, suddenly. It was certainly scary.
        It was her first, and last. (For the 3 years I was still in touch
        with her, anyways.)

        After I posted this morning I had you and your family in my
        thoughts. I was thinking about it a lot, because to tell the truth I
        sometimes wonder just how much we can do to help people in situations
        like that. And, to be honest, I don't - personally- believe that
        Metta can be sent to others in any real way. But I was encouraged by
        remembering that, whether formally or not, you've taken refuge in the
        Dhamma. That is the greatest reassurance anyone could have. I thought
        of myself if it were me, and knew that I'd be OK. The problem is
        worry about our loved ones if they haven't come to see the value of
        the Dhamma yet. We can't push it on them, but we certainly wish they
        could have that refuge as well.

        Metta,
        Phil
        p.s that belief about Metta is just my own personal view. I don't
        mean to cast dispersion on anyone else's
        beliefs/practices/understanding.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
          Hi Phil and Everyone,

          --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <plnao@j...> wrote:

          > Hi Sharon
          >
          > Relieved to hear it isn't too serious. I remember once my
          > roomate's sister was staying at our place, and she had an epileptic
          > seizure in the middle of the night, suddenly. It was certainly
          scary.
          > It was her first, and last. (For the 3 years I was still in touch
          > with her, anyways.)

          We've been hearing similar stories from many people since this has
          happened. It's very encouraging! So thanks for sharing that. The
          lady who cuts Terry's hair had a similar thing happen 20 years ago
          and never again since.

          > After I posted this morning I had you and your family in my
          > thoughts. I was thinking about it a lot, because to tell the truth
          > sometimes wonder just how much we can do to help people in
          situations
          > like that. And, to be honest, I don't - personally- believe that
          > Metta can be sent to others in any real way.

          I don't know, but we sure appreciate the moral support! What was it
          Pema Chodron said when a student asked if their practices such as
          Metta or Compassion could actually help the people we meditate
          on, "Well, I can say with complete certainty that it can't hurt." ;o)

          (I love Pema.)

          > But I was encouraged by
          > remembering that, whether formally or not, you've taken refuge in
          the
          > Dhamma. That is the greatest reassurance anyone could have. I
          thought
          > of myself if it were me, and knew that I'd be OK. The problem is
          > worry about our loved ones if they haven't come to see the value of
          > the Dhamma yet. We can't push it on them, but we certainly wish
          they
          > could have that refuge as well.

          Actually, refuge in the Dhamma is exactly what helped me get through,
          especially the first several hours when we had no idea what was
          going. While my husband went through various tests, I walked around
          the emergency room and waiting area focusing on my breath and steps,
          looking at the different people waiting there, knowing that they all
          had their stories and were suffering in various ways. Many people
          undoubtedly had more to be concerned about that Terry and I did.
          (It's kind of neat, actually. Our teachers tell us that we practice
          on the cushion so that these beneficial states can arise
          spontaneously in our daily life. It's heartening to know that it can
          really happen in the most frightening circumstances.)

          Thanks again for the loving support and wisdom.